MLK CRK CUB 722

Help Support CattleToday:

Loch Valley Fold

Reaction score
Anyone have any details about this bull good, bad, indifferent ?
Reason I ask is I have some in my tank & for the life of me can't remember where it came from only thing I can think of is when the freight company was shipping a tank for my AI company they (shipping ) dropped a tank & lost all the contents this could be the bull the AI company used to replace mine.

Here he is..........Horrendous EPD's. I wouldn't breed that bull to a Water Buffalo.

http://bullbarn.com/angredepd.asp?ID=40

BTW for my friend who PM'd me, take a look at the top 20 AI sires in the RA breed today and show me how many times this bull appears. I read a lot of RA pedigrees and before today i had never even heard his name.

He obviously achieved his own "peter principal"

He has produced AI sires of his owe he is the father of RED Crowfoot Ole's Oscar a calving ease bull. Bred right could be super calves out of him. :D

double v":35xly270 said:
He has produced AI sires of his owe he is the father of RED Crowfoot Ole's Oscar a calving ease bull. Bred right could be super calves out of him. :D

One of the all time greatest "fire and ice" matings......how many cows with those EPD's do you suppose exist in any breed. 1 or 2%...i think i'll pass.

Thanks guys I did eventually find that link myself & I wasn't too sure on the EPD's thought I was reading them wrong :oops:
won't be using him here so will advertise all the straws I have so hopefully will sell

Loch Valley Fold":sr6leeqg said:
Thanks guys I did eventually find that link myself & I wasn't too sure on the EPD's thought I was reading them wrong :oops:
won't be using him here so will advertise all the straws I have so hopefully will sell

You don't need to sell them. Just look for a cow with a 15 for calving ease and a -12 for ME and you should be fine........ ;-)

Dang. I thought sure the BB folks had the +/- on the CED epd wrong - but looked it up on the RAAA site; yep, it's -10. Calves must come looking like a concrete block.

Lucky_P":1hgd6as5 said:
Dang. I thought sure the BB folks had the +/- on the CED epd wrong - but looked it up on the RAAA site; yep, it's -10. Calves must come looking like a concrete block.

All kidding aside the ME 13 number would worry me more than the calving ease. That has to be the bottom 1% of the RA breed.

3waycross":1m31ohzp said:
Lucky_P":1m31ohzp said:

All kidding aside the ME 13 number would worry me more than the calving ease. That has to be the bottom 1% of the RA breed.
Nope only the bottom 7% But his heifer pregnancy is in the bottom1%

3waycross":1az93l31 said:
Sure makes me want to order a few straws.
Yeah, calves shaped like a cinderblock, daughters that don;t get pregnant but eat a tone and still have problems calving. Sounds like the charolais from the 60s

dun":3lwm0rbh said:
3waycross":3lwm0rbh said:
Sure makes me want to order a few straws.
Yeah, calves shaped like a cinderblock, daughters that don;t get pregnant but eat a tone and still have problems calving. Sounds like the charolais from the 60s

BUT he sired a National Champion.

Question this bull is a 1997 model have the epd's changed at all during this time?? He also has sired close to 1000 calves thinking that also could effect ones EPD's just like in the last epd's for gelbvieh The Freedom bulls epd's were going down hill but with the change he's average just saying it can go either way. :eek:

double v":3fvgxcow said:
Question this bull is a 1997 model have the epd's changed at all during this time?? He also has sired close to 1000 calves thinking that also could effect ones EPD's just like in the last epd's for gelbvieh The Freedom bulls epd's were going down hill but with the change he's average just saying it can go either way. :eek:
Since they're recalculated twice a year and he has high accuracy the new ones would be the most accuarte. I'll look around and see if I can find an old Genex catalog
http://search.redangus.org/animal/id/56 ... mal/566636

His accuracies are all in the 90's take a look at his parents EPD's. he earned those EPD's they werent a gift from his Dam and Sire.

Since the RA assn is on the same database as the GV assn maybe they will update in May like the GV EPD's are supposed to do!.

Wow glad I asked some questions before using he's been sitting in the tank for the last 3yrs guess a little longer wont hurt him any although I suppose the calves would be ok to sell straight off the cow & not kept for replacements - that is if I wanted to breed concrete blocks :cowboy:

Loch Valley Fold":1nahj6y0 said:
Wow glad I asked some questions before using he's been sitting in the tank for the last 3yrs guess a little longer wont hurt him any although I suppose the calves would be ok to sell straight off the cow & not kept for replacements - that is if I wanted to breed concrete blocks :cowboy:

He probably makes some fine lookin calves. I just wouldn't keep anything out of him!

He is actually a pretty decent bull. He was promoted early as a calving ease bull, which he was not. Calves were long and the owners I know did not have any calving problems with the bull. He was probably used on heifers that he shouldn't have been used on. He had a longer growth curve so some of the cattle got fairly big. Heard nothing good or bad on HP. Moral of the story, I would very, very much prefer to see him in a pedigree instead of say Cherokee Canyon or any number of bulls out there. Not a perfect bull for sure, but would leave productive daughters, good udders, good disposition.

BA":2iet6cky said:
He is actually a pretty decent bull. He was promoted early as a calving ease bull, which he was not. Calves were long and the owners I know did not have any calving problems with the bull. He was probably used on heifers that he shouldn't have been used on. He had a longer growth curve so some of the cattle got fairly big. Heard nothing good or bad on HP. Moral of the story, I would very, very much prefer to see him in a pedigree instead of say Cherokee Canyon or any number of bulls out there. Not a perfect bull for sure, but would leave productive daughters, good udders, good disposition.

Brian i totally agree with you on Cherokee Canyon!

However the 13 for ME doesn't bother you? That actually would concern me more than the calving ease as far as keeping dtrs or even grandaughters!

Latest posts