Mississippi Cattlemen request assistance

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
I recieved this today from our Vermont Extension Service

September 6, 2005

Due to the recent hurricane disaster, Commissioner Lester Spell (MS) is requesting the assistance of fellow Commissioners, Secretaries, and Directors. The livestock industry in the Mid-South is in immediate need of the following: barbed wire, t-posts, t-post clips, t-post drivers, water troughs, hay rings, electric fencing supplies, solar fence chargers, and bagged livestock feed. Any donations should be directed to the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce. The Department has storage, loading/unloading, and dispersal capabilities from the State Fairgrounds in Jackson, Mississippi. The Department will be working with the Mississippi Cattlemen's Association in dispensing the donated supplies. For more information, please contact the following:

Greg Young: 601.359.1100; 601.214.1344; [email protected]
Sammy Blossom, Mississippi Cattlemen's Association: 601.354.8951: 601.941.1276; [email protected]

Thanks for bringing attention to this, CowCop. After giving to the Red Cross and others in the past, this relief effort is bothering me some. I don't want to spend my tax dollars and also give my own money to the same ends---replacing the slums in New Orleans with new places for them to tear up. Everybody needs to do all they can to help. Whatever you choose is okay by me, just do something.

Personally, I don't want to buy any rock cocaine or cheap wine with my donations. The Mississippi Cattlemen's Foundation got my check. I'd encourage all of you to at least give them some thought before you donate. They have a lot of needs that might fall through the cracks because they try to be self-sufficient and aren't a popular, whining, squealing minority group. They're cattlemen just like many of us and need our help. Mark the check "Katrina Relief." Here's the address:

Mississippi Cattlemen's Foundation
680 Monroe Street
Jackson, MS 39202

Get your checkbooks! Thanks!

~~

UPDATE 9/9/05

INDUSTRY NEWS
--Cattlemen Step Up to Help Katrina Ranch Victims
To date, 33 truckloads of materials and more than $10,000 have been donated in an effort to help farm and ranch operators impacted by Hurricane Katrina, says Jim McAdams, a Texas producer and president of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA). NCBA, state beef councils and state cattlemen's associations are encouraging all producers to contribute to the recovery effort.
Among supplies still needed are all type of fencing products, building materials and feeding equipment. NCBA is also mobilizing volunteers to rebuild fences, gather cattle and donate trucking or transportation services.

Those wishing to donate supplies, or with leads on where to find donated supplies, should contact NCBA's John Braly or Courtney Pollock at 1-866-BEEFUSA. Several staging areas and distribution points have been established, and more are being arranged through state cattlemen's associations in Louisiana, Mississippi and surrounding states.

Send contributions to the National Cattlemen's Foundation, Disaster Relief Fund, 9110 East Nichols Ave., Suite 300, Centennial, CO 80112 or call 303-694-0305. Other relief efforts underway include:

*The Mississippi Cattlemen's Association has established a special account to assist cattle producer relief efforts. Send donations to the Mississippi Cattlemen's Foundation (marked as "Katrina Relief") at 680 Monroe St., Jackson, MS 39202, or call 601-354-8951 or email to [email protected] (mailto:[email protected]).

*The Louisiana Cattlemen's Foundation is accepting donations to help with food relief efforts. Donations will purchase food for evacuees at emergency shelters, with area producer volunteers preparing and serving the food. Mail donations to: Louisiana Cattlemen's Foundation, 4921 Interstate 10 Frontage Rd., Port Allen, LA 70767, or call 225-343-3491.

*State beef council investments totaling $100,000 will be used for shelf-stable beef products, such as canned beef or beef jerky, for distribution to hurricane victims. USDA has approved the use of beef checkoff funds for these efforts, which will highlight the nutritional benefits of beef to those receiving assistance.

*In addition, farm and ranch families from as far away as California have offered to open up their homes as temporary housing for those in need. Anyone willing to provide housing may also contact Braly or Pollock at NCBA.

If you want to view this on the web go to:
http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/beef/v/267

Latest posts