Capstone Project Request

Help Support CattleToday:

Karin

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a capstone project for my final semester of university (through the U of Alta, of course) where my group and I are finding means to essentially advertise and enlighten people, particularly youth and undergraduates going into college or university, about careers in the beef industry. Though our project is primarily targeting urban youth to bust the myths about agricultural careers--like you don't have to work on a farm or be a farmer in order to have a career in agriculture--it may also gear towards those who already have some interest in agriculture, urban or rural.

We're working on a web page where various careers are described from qualifications to expectations, skills and possibly salaries if we can find such information. We are also wanting to interview some people from the industry, not only within Canada but outside as well, which is why I'm posting on here. The interview is just a few short questions, no right or wrong answers, just your opinions are needed. I'm working on the production, nutrition and equipment part of the website, and since I'm in contact with a lot of you producers, some AI techs, nutritionists and that on this forum, you're perfect for me to start bothering you about careers in the beef industry. :)

So, the questions are as follows:

1. Who are you (name, current position, years on the job, etc.)?
2. What do you do on an average day in your current job?
3. What's your advice for urban youth to go into agriculture?

If you don't want to answer on here, that's totally fine, you can just PM me with your answers.

Thank all! :wave:

1) I'm sortof a manager on my parents farm, and do most everything imaginable, we've been doing this for 25 years, though I was away for about 10.
2) I fix equipment, take care of the cows, irrigate, seed, make firewood, try marketing some goods.. We grow some specialty crops as well.
3) Wow, I'm really not sure what to say for this one!

#3 - Win lottery first.

But that isn't probably all that constructive, so the other point would be 'start small and listen to your elders - and not the ones in their 50's/60's with money to play with. The small-timers in their 80's and 90's who went through it all and are still farming.

I think I may have asked question 3 wrong. What I meant by advice for youth to go into agriculture didn't exactly mean go into directly cattle production, but rather advice for youth to consider a career in agricultural-related or industry-supported careers, like being an AI tech or a nutritionist or geneticist or into research and that. Like, how or what would you recommend someone to consider such agricultural/beef industry-related careers? I know it's a tough question, but I'd love to hear some various answers, even from the rest of you south of the border and elsewhere.

Latest posts