Missing hole

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I had a calf that was claimed by two mas & by the time I sorted that out, she was uncleaned & weak. Did a force nursing & although at first she wanted nothing to do with it, by the second time she had the hang of it & did so on her own. I just checked her this AM & she was staining to take a crap - I wondered why. I checked, there is NO hole for it to come out. Skin from the top of the virgiana all the way up the tail. Comments? Thoughts. Has anyone heard of this - fixable? If so, only via vet?

Farminlund":2rp095d7 said:
I had a calf that was claimed by two mas & by the time I sorted that out, she was uncleaned & weak. Did a force nursing & although at first she wanted nothing to do with it, by the second time she had the hang of it & did so on her own. I just checked her this AM & she was staining to take a be nice - I wondered why. I checked, there is NO hole for it to come out. Skin from the top of the virgiana all the way up the tail. Comments? Thoughts. Has anyone heard of this - fixable? If so, only via vet?

Get a vet A.S.A.P

years ago the old man had one like that with the dairy & he just rushed it to a sale. don't remember how it sold. don't know if they can fix it or not or whether it would be worth it

Phone call to vet would be a good idea here. I've personally never seen this, but it doesn't sound too promising. Let us know what happens.

Katherine

Farminlund":3ox7gf7a said:
I had a calf that was claimed by two mas & by the time I sorted that out, she was uncleaned & weak. Did a force nursing & although at first she wanted nothing to do with it, by the second time she had the hang of it & did so on her own. I just checked her this AM & she was staining to take a be nice - I wondered why. I checked, there is NO hole for it to come out. Skin from the top of the virgiana all the way up the tail. Comments? Thoughts. Has anyone heard of this - fixable? If so, only via vet?

She isn't worth the expense of trying to save. Get it dead ASAP.

The condition is atresia ani. Most animals have more defects than just a missing anus, thus surgery is possible but not always successful. $$$

Various causes from toxin, to genetic to ???

Check it out on a .edu site for more information

V

Thanks for the tremendous inputs & some added humor to make the situation a bit more bearable. Everyone was right on target. Talking to the vet was the first step. His inputs agreed with the knowledgeable Vicky the Vet & thus the only possible course of action was to put the poor baby down (a bit hard after you've spend two sessions teaching her to nurse). He believed the reason was genetic as his experience indicated that this happened to offspring of dams bred by their sire (about as much in-breeding as you can get). In our case, the clean up bull was sired by the same bull that sired the dam of our poor holeless calf (apparently too close in genetic terms). He said it could be fixed ($$$) but likely other issues would show up later - so unless we insisted he recommended we take the "put her down option". I tried the methods mentioned on the site a week or so ago (took 2 shots as the first seemed to not get the job done fast enough) & like the behind the poll & shooting toward the nostrils as you don't have to look the sweet thing in the eyes.

Farminlund":1r0odnrd said:
Thanks for the tremendous inputs & some added humor to make the situation a bit more bearable. Everyone was right on target. Talking to the vet was the first step. His inputs agreed with the knowledgeable Vicky the Vet & thus the only possible course of action was to put the poor baby down (a bit hard after you've spend two sessions teaching her to nurse). He believed the reason was genetic as his experience indicated that this happened to offspring of dams bred by their sire (about as much in-breeding as you can get). In our case, the clean up bull was sired by the same bull that sired the dam of our poor holeless calf (apparently too close in genetic terms). He said it could be fixed ($$$) but likely other issues would show up later - so unless we insisted he recommended we take the "put her down option". I tried the methods mentioned on the site a week or so ago (took 2 shots as the first seemed to not get the job done fast enough) & like the behind the poll & shooting toward the nostrils as you don't have to look the sweet thing in the eyes.

That was the humane thing to do.