missing heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
The Mrs. had the open heifer I refered to in another post in a pen in the cattle yard 2 miles away. Yesterday she was gone. No hoof tracks anywhere, no cow pies, all the gates shut, it's like she airlifted out of the pen. I already called the sheriff, but is there someone else we should call to report this incase someone tries to sell her?

Rapture for cattle?

Check all fences, gates....call insurance company if ya got it... I learned the hard way myself.....I bought insurance this past spring, already used it.

like fuel these days....cattle are getting to be closer to the value of gold per lb............
Hope you find her! :cboy:

joe":3c7tlemu said:
The Mrs. had the open heifer I refered to in another post in a pen in the cattle yard 2 miles away. Yesterday she was gone. No hoof tracks anywhere, no cow pies, all the gates shut, it's like she airlifted out of the pen. I already called the sheriff, but is there someone else we should call to report this incase someone tries to sell her?

If she was Brammer, she probably just flapped her ears and flew away.

If she had a tattoo and/or brand or something else that would be a specific identifier I'd call all the local processing plants and local sale barns especially if you are close to state line they could cross. And I'd get some locks on those gates.
Yes I know a good heat wrench will take care of locks and chains but there is no reason to make it easy for them either.
I think the problem(theft) is going to get worse as living expenses go up.

I think I would go looking for her. You never know how stupied some people are they might try and sell her in an auction close by. When we had a problem with someone trying a brake in Tom put a sign up in the back yard that said something about trespassers will be shot, we never had a problem again. hope you find her!
Greenwillows wife

joe":1vbl59xd said:

Well son you can bet that cow didn't fly away. Come on use your head for something besides a hat rack. Were there truck and trailer tracks, foot prints ,dog tracks . Had to be something there is not one real rancher I know that doesn't notice a strage boot print a down wire a different set of tire tracks. Got to pay attention. Was she penned alone cows herding animals will travel a long way to be with other cattle.
Got to give more info then Scotty beamed her up on the Enterprise. Something made a track to get to the cow or her leaving.

Well CB, hate to lay the news on ya... but Scotty aint beaming nobody up no more... he went to the big solar system in the sky just today! Croaked out, beamed up, phasers set to kill, all gone, the big starship in the sky... he was 85! wow how time flies when you watch the same Star Trek reruns over and over again. :cboy:

Well son you can bet that cow didn't fly away. Come on use your head for something besides a hat rack. Were there truck and trailer tracks, foot prints ,dog tracks . Had to be something there is not one real rancher I know that doesn't notice a strage boot print a down wire a different set of tire tracks. Got to pay attention. Was she penned alone cows herding animals will travel a long way to be with other cattle.
Got to give more info then Scotty beamed her up on the Enterprise. Something made a track to get to the cow or her leaving[/quote]
FYI this aint the first rodeo I've been to. :cboy: The farm where the pen is at is a couple miles away. The house there I rent out to a kid that is hardly ever home, and Friday is the Mrs.'s folk's wedding anniversary party, which somehow got voted to be held in the barn down there, so tracks are pleanty. I was down there moving stuff around in the garage when she pulled up to feed and brush :roll: the heifer. And by the time I figured out what was going on the Mrs. had already done a few dounuts by the pen herself looking for tracks, and checking the pile of corn and silage for tracks. So the detective work was difficult at that point. But Caustic, you are so right, it always amazes my wife when we pull into the yard, and I say "someone with a truck was here." I swear she could drive by a strange truck in the yard and not notice sometimes. I was just wondering if I need to call all the sale barns, and butcher shops, or state brand board, (she isn't branded) humane society.... or who gets the "missing child" posters sent out so I can get the cow's pic on the back of a milk carton bfore the Mrs. puts up anymore of her "missing" posters with the cows pic in full color on 'em. :roll: We have been looking, but are also surrounded by 10' tall corn on 3 sides of the place. But notified all english speaking neighbors, and tried a few spanish speaking. Sorry to ramble on, but you can imagine what it's like at my place right now with the "pet" missing for 2 days! :cry: :roll:

Wait, did I read that right? They had an Wedding anniversary party in the barn? Does Jerry Springer know about this? This is beginning to all sound suspect...Maybe the Heifer was given away as an anniversary present? On a serious note, there's was a feller around here recently that bought 28 Heifers, neglected to pen them up a few days, just dumped them in the pasture, and they went through his fence like a freight train. Still has nine head missing...Now you know someone dis-honest had those girls show up on their place and either hauled them to the sale or kept em. Your gonna have to get some detective skills right away.

If it were me - I would call the sheriff first, then call all the auction barns - (probably won't help much since shes not branded, though) Then call any other outlets for cattle sale / disposal. It's doubtful that she will end up in one of these places but it doesn't hurt to try.

Is she tame / halter broke? You said your wife was going to bursh her - she might turn up at a neighbors house looking for a treat. She probably out in the corn somewhere - Are there any other herds she could get into? Try looking there, too.

Hope you find her! I know it can be hard but the longer she's gone the less of a chance you got of getting her back.

Crowderfarms said:
Wait, did I read that right? They had an Wedding anniversary party in the barn? quote]

You might be a redneck if you have your wedding anniversary party at the sale barn. :lol:

We had a three year old and her calf go missing a few years back. Very nice animals, they seemed to up an vanish. About a month goes by when we notice a cow carrying our brand in with one of our neighbor's animals. We watched the situation for a week and a half before calling and asking if he'd seen her. He was real quick to claim that he'd found an animal like her a day back(!) and was just thinking to call us. When we went to pick her up and he had her separated out, all alone. We asked about the calf, only to have him claim he'd never seen her with one. Too bad for him that he had only separated mother and daughter a few pens away. The cow kept trying to get in with her calf, so finally he spoke up that maybe that was her calf. He was really reluctant because the calf wasn't branded or tagged, but luckily the ear marks that we'd had time to give her gave it away. He sure looked like someone who'd had his funfuns clipped off as we hauled mom and daughter back home.

Believe it or not, but he's been kinda distant towards us ever since. :roll: I mean, he did "find her" and returned her safe and sound along with calf. You'd think he'd been happier about his good deed.

i know people just like that.they think if it ends up in their pasture that its theirs.we had a cow go missing for 2wks and fimally spotted her in neighbors pasture.called an asked him bout her . he goes i dont have blk wf cows . so we got her out knowing full well sge was ours . an he was madd bout it.heres the kicker the guy is kinfolk lolol. scott

People call me crazy, but I take pictures of all my cows and calves, in case they get stolen. I glue the pictures to the individual health record. I also write down any unusual marks they have. For example, one of them cut her back leg, about 8 inches long. She's a Brangus and the hair grew back white. I will soon take a picture of it and file it. I try to get close ups of faces so you can really see hair direction, etc. I can look at a pasture of black hiefers or cows and tell them apart because of those pictures. It's not practical for large herds, but it is for me.

Perhaps I'm paranoid and optimistic at the same time. I figure if they get stolen, the pictures will be a better help than, "well, she's a white faced red cow" or "she's black".

My neighbor says, "possession is 9/10 of the law." Yeah, that's true until his bull is in my pasture.

I sure hope you are able to recover your heifer. Makes me sick.

bigbull338":18e0mjza said:
i know people just like that.they think if it ends up in their pasture that its theirs.we had a cow go missing for 2wks and fimally spotted her in neighbors pasture.called an asked him bout her . he goes i dont have blk wf cows . so we got her out knowing full well sge was ours . an he was madd bout it.heres the kicker the guy is kinfolk lolol. scott

I have the opposite problem. I keep finding cows and the guy that owns them won't come get them. I had two on my place since the end of May. One is in with my cattle and has a nice calf on her. The other is too high strung to catch and just wanders around the perimeter, occasionally into the yard. I've been threatening to shoot it. I've phoned the guy a few times but he has never come to pick them up. I guess I'll just ship them in the fall and keep a fair bit back for pasture rental plus aggravation costs. Should be about even, specially with all those aggravation costs. ;-)