Mirafount waters

Help Support CattleToday:

r and s peckman

Reaction score
To keep the balls from freezing to the opening, during the winter you can put vasiline around the inside of the lip. Went to the store and bought some. The store cleck ask me what I was going to do with all that vasiline. I said that you would not believe me if I told you.

if they are sticking in other than an ice storm then most lilely the water level is too high in the waterer.
there should be a little gap between the trough rim and the float ball.

pdfangus":2laisdxx said:
if they are sticking in other than an ice storm then most lilely the water level is too high in the waterer.
there should be a little gap between the trough rim and the float ball.

Correct. About a quarter of an inch will prevent most of the problems.

Well, if their cattle's like mine, they stick their head in & pull it out several times, dribbling water all over the top. In really cold weather - they stick pretty easily. Usually, not enough that they can't "butt" them open, but it does happen.
I have tried the vaseline trick - works - for a short time, because they just rub it off onto their face.
So, in severe cold - especially windy days - I just take a walk-by & make sure they are free, first thing in AM when checking cows.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":kai3zfqu said:
Well, if their cattle's like mine, they stick their head in & pull it out several times, dribbling water all over the top. In really cold weather - they stick pretty easily. Usually, not enough that they can't "butt" them open, but it does happen.
I have tried the vaseline trick - works - for a short time, because they just rub it off onto their face.
So, in severe cold - especially windy days - I just take a walk-by & make sure they are free, first thing in AM when checking cows.

The slobber factor is why the 1/4 inch gap helps.

Hippie Rancher":vuqki0j0 said:
So you bought a lot of vaseline to keep your balls from freezing to some opening? :clap:

There is always someone to take an innocent thread on cattle watering and turn it in the chute. My compliments. :lol: :lol:

Hippie Rancher":311u5jcd said:
john250":311u5jcd said:
Are you all happy with your Mirafounts?
Any installation tricks?

And then you tempt me with a question like that? :shock: :lol:

Do yer derndest. Could be the first time a waterer thread got locked for adult content.
It's a totally innocent question. :lol:

I have mirafounts and ritchies.

On the mirafount put the water shutoff valve in the water line somewhere besides right at the trough.

I put my valve in the line in the heat tube and the one in the mirafount I can not get mey hand in to turn the water off.

Not a big obstacle but it makes me cuss when i have to adjust something and can not cut the water off.

I like the mirafounts becasue if you can see the fountain and you can see the ball you know it is working. With the ritchies you have to go to the fountain to see if it is working.

theres alot of questions asked here.that can be turned in the chute an go the other way.

Hippie Rancher":26xr0hrb said:
So you bought a lot of vaseline to keep your balls from freezing to some opening? :clap:

I may be mistaken, but don't Mirafounts have big blue balls?

I would think that having cattle ram them with their noses when it is really cold could cause a problem.

I do like the mirafounts. When adjusted properly they work. Now that they have been in two years, the side where the water line comes in, has dropped. I need to level the pad back up.

I love my Mirafounts. Installed first one in '87 - 2 hole. Just replaced with a 6 hole. (old one still good, will put elsewhere - someday!) Got heater for this one, didn't have one for last one. Put in a "curb shutoff" (long pole that turns a faucet underground) to turn off water when needed.
Dun, we can't/couldn't leave a 1/4 inch gap. If there was ANY opening whatsoever, the valve would freeze. Ours is out in open, on hill, no protection, gets all the wind. Old one would freeze up even when it was closed up good. Just haul bucket of hot water & pour it in & leave it. Thaws out easily.
The whole idea of it is that it's a great big thermosbottle. Keep closed up & heat can't get out, cold can't get in. NEW water is what creates the heat inside.
And, YES, they do have BLUE BALLS - now I have SIX BLUE BALLS!! :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uxiuwin said:
Put in a "curb shutoff" (long pole that turns a faucet underground) to turn off water when needed.

We had a problem with having the valve like that so in the riser I stuffed some insulation in a heavy plastic bag and pushed it down the riser so that it's just below ground level. Problem all gone.

dun":2hmolw1z said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2hmolw1z said:
Put in a "curb shutoff" (long pole that turns a faucet underground) to turn off water when needed.

We had a problem with having the valve like that so in the riser I stuffed some insulation in a heavy plastic bag and pushed it down the riser so that it's just below ground level. Problem all gone.
Good point, I'll have to do that.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":206mw2fz said:
dun":206mw2fz said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":206mw2fz said:

Good point, I'll have to do that.

I also tied the sack closed with a piece of heavy twine and left enoug of it so I could leave a tag end hanging outside of the cover. Our risers are about 3 foot high and the valve is down another 3 feet.

Latest posts