Mirafount Waterers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with the younger calves drinking out of the Mirafount waterers when leaving the float ball in place, or do you have to remove the cover and ball in order for them to be able to drink?

We have one of the ancient ones (1989??). Anyway, our cows with newborns drink out of it starting around Feb. Calves don't even try to drink it then. Later in the spring, we will take the balls out for the summer.

When we used the Mirafount we never took the balls out and never had a problem with calves drinking, we made sure the height was accesible for all (young and old)...

I should clarify. I don't take them out so that the calves CAN drink out of them. They can, no problem with the ball in.
Our style, the water level is pretty low and the hole is minimum big enough, so it's just easier for the cows to drink if the ball is out.

I liked the idea of the water being clean and no algae growing inside the tank. I was disappointed when it said if you have a cow/calf operation, to remove the cover so the calves could drink. I am glad to hear that the calves can drink if the pressure is not too high.

Chuckie":2dcfp549 said:
I liked the idea of the water being clean and no algae growing inside the tank. I was disappointed when it said if you have a cow/calf operation, to remove the cover so the calves could drink. I am glad to hear that the calves can drink if the pressure is not too high.

height of the tank in general, remember the cows can get lower, but the calves can't get higher :D

There are many Mirfounts in the pastures where I work, the calves have had no trouble using them, with the balls in place. As mitchwi stated, height of the tank is important.

Katherine

Latest posts