(mini)Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Phil2

Reaction score
I've read these boards for a couple years now without making an account and the recent thread of the young Hereford bull finally made me want to post a picture of mine to see what you guys said. I will still read far more than I post but I'm curious. To give a bit of introduction, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with cows but I'm doing it anyhow. I live in southeast NE, have 4 registered 'miniature' Hereford cows, one mini Hereford/dexter cross heifer, 3 old bred cull cows, 5 stocker Holstein steers, and this registered mini Herf bull.

I *think* I understand everyone's reaction to the other bull posted, (and absolutely understand why the other poster bought him, look at what I own...). I'm just curious what everyone's reaction would be to my bull.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/PHughes920/media/bull3_zps29428de8.jpg.html

Sorry for the url link, couldn't figure out the picture thing and need to go for a bit. Will try again later if this doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Well, I don't either but again I don't have a clue what I'm doing with cows. What you can't see in the picture is that this little guy is an absolute jerk. If he gives me good calves this year he will be tolerated another year. Maybe. If I don't shoot him first. If you're just being nice, "thank you", but please point out what might not be right with him. It may help me when I go shopping for the next bull. I didn't buy him because I thought I was a good judge of cattle and he looked perfect. I bought him because I thought he was silly cheap and I didn't see a reason not to. (same with the mini cows). If you tell me he should have been cut long ago and should never be allowed near a cow again, you won't hurt my feelings.

I can't tell much by the picture, but he does at least look like he has some beef to him. One thing you better be carefull of is if you think he's a "jerk" some or all of his calves probably will be also. If you will be keeping calves as foundation stock to build on and a "jerk" means he's a silly headed, fence riding fool you'd better not let him near your cows. Weigh up prices are silly good right now.

Phil2":3plpcd1i said:
Well, I don't either but again I don't have a clue what I'm doing with cows. What you can't see in the picture is that this little guy is an absolute jerk. If he gives me good calves this year he will be tolerated another year. Maybe. If I don't shoot him first. If you're just being nice, "thank you", but please point out what might not be right with him. It may help me when I go shopping for the next bull. I didn't buy him because I thought I was a good judge of cattle and he looked perfect. I bought him because I thought he was silly cheap and I didn't see a reason not to. (same with the mini cows). If you tell me he should have been cut long ago and should never be allowed near a cow again, you won't hurt my feelings.

There is your answer as to why he was cheap. Don't think for a minute that he isn't big enuf to kill you or someone else. As far a phenotype he is a pretty good looking bull.
BTW after you upload to photobucket just highlight a picture and look to the right an click on the line that says ...img... then come here open a message and hit control v your picture will pop up.

hot dog! It worked. Thanks. I knew I should have read the thread giving instructions on how to post pictures.

This picture just shows an example of what I meant by 'jerk'. He's got a Napoleon complex and wants to fight anything bigger than him. I pushed him all over the pasture this day while brush hogging. He was halter broke and shown as a calf and as such has absolutely no fear and little respect. He's never torn down fences and is gentle with the cows but instead of using a stick or a fiberglass fence post when I'm near him, I grab a steel pipe or a shovel. Not because I've ever actually needed it, but because I don't want to need it and not have it.

If I were to post a couple more pictures of him and/or my cows, would you guys be willing to point out their faults and things to look for in the future for me? Reading this board for the past few years has helped give me an idea of things but I'm still not sure if I know what 'good' udders, feet or legs really look like.

Appreciate the responses.

Phil

A lot of small bulls are arseholes... He looks good, but he was cheap because of his character.

I found the mothers have more to do with temperament than the father, but if he's a hazard to you, and especially if you have kids around him, I'd say that's a reason to get rid of him.

I don't know jack about mini cattle but he looks ok to me. Add a few feet and some weight and I would use him. As far as his attitude if he ever acted like he wanted to charge me or anyone else he would be gone

If I were to post a couple more pictures of him and/or my cows, would you guys be willing to point out their faults and things to look for in the future for me?
Phil, that sounds right up our alley! :D
The bull looks good from those pictures. One thing that I saw in the miniature Herfs at the shows, (that I did not care for,) was the unmistakable look of dwarfism. Large strange looking heads, bulging eyes, and disproportionate legs to body. I am curious to see if your bull exhibits those characteristics.
If he does not, that could be why "he was cheap." Maybe he is too big for the "mini standard." Which just might be a good thing.

I may be wrong but from what I understand there isn't a problem with dwarfism in mini herfs (or lowline angus for that matter) as there is in a lot of dexters. I didn't set out to get minis but when they came along I could make it make sense with limited space and a very reasonable selling price. I'm interested in how hard buyers would laugh at me if I took them to the sale barn (may do it just for the grins some day) but they should be just fine for freezer beef and/or other hobbyist fools like me. I will see if I have any decent pictures of the cows to put up later. If not I will get some this weekend. What angles would help the best to actually see something?

The bull is on the larger size of mini, frame score 0 or 00, which was just fine for my purposes as well.

For pictures I like them to have their head up, and a picture taken from the side, they'll look the best if the feet that are away from the camera are closest to each other (in stride).

I think he's a good looking bull. A lot of those mini's are really stout. Do you have any other cattle in the pasture with him? He may settle down if he has a friend. If not, it may be passed on to his calves. A recent bull we had threw calves that kicked like mules. He only needed one other reason to go and that was the straw that broke the camels back. As two year olds, they've settled down but I'm still careful walking behind them in close quarters.

I appreciate the responses and interest. Thank you.

These are a few pictures I have of the cows from last year that somewhat fit the bill of from the side with their heads up. I've put on a few comments of what I *think* about them, please let me know where I'm wrong and what else to look at. I also took a couple more of the bull and steer calf tonight (cows and heifer calf are on the leased ground right now).

These 2 are 5 at the time of the picture. The one on the left with the abscess is 7 months bred here. I knew the risk with the lump when I bought her and took the gamble that it wasn't lump jaw. Stopped at the vet on the way home to have it checked, he confirmed it was an old abscess that was never properly cared for and that it would continue to return but was not much to worry over. I believe that her udder is lousy. The back 2 quarters were of ok size and milked ok, the front 2 were overly large and one was very hard. I'm not sure her calf ever was able to do much with it. She gave me a heifer that ended up being half dexter instead of mini Hereford, an oops by the seller supposedly. I am planning on breeding her anyhow this fall. Turned into a nice looking calf.

All in all I like the cow on the right. She's far too large to be of much value to most mini breeders I'm sure but she was a very good mother. I like her longer shape. She gave us a bull calf that we cut and will be butchering this fall.

The steer was born in march, heifer calf in april, picture taken in may.

The cow half hidden in this picture is 2 at the time and was a first calver. She gave us the heifer calf, that I papered and we will breed this fall, in between the two cows. Over all I think she's the 'prettiest' of the bunch. She's also the smallest by far. She seemed to do ok as a momma but a bit inattentive. Hopefully that changes this year. The heifer started out slow but nearly caught up with the (now) steer by the end of winter.

beautiful wife for scale standing next to the lump jaw. She's 5'11".

steer calf from tonight

steer and bull side by side with a holstien and a jersey calf in front (they were roughly 200 lbs a month ago) for scale.

best pose the bull was willing to give me tonight for his 'glamour shot'. I told him to say cheese but he just flipped me off.

They look OK, If the one that has a bad udder gives you problems, I'd get rid of her. I had a really old cow that had an abscess in the same spot, it ended up healing up and diminishing over time, it didn't look like it was bothering her so I just put some iodine on it and kept it clean, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say the best thing to do would be to turn her into hamburger, as you won't get much at a sale barn for her. The one behind her is certainly a better animal.

Your eye seems pretty good, and you're picking out the flaws and qualities pretty well, seems like you do well picking cattle.. and wives too :p

Latest posts