Minerial mix ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I use a high mag minerial mix this time of year. My local feed store has a different type available with high mag but at a significantly lowered cost. The big difference that I can see is that it has much less phosphorus. Previously the phos was 4% while calcium was 13%, this mix has phos @ 1% with calcium @ 13.5%. Salt was 17.7% for the past mix with the new @ 16.3% (similar & this I believe controls intake). I was reluctant to buy as the old mix has yielded good performance & reduced phos sounds like it might have some negative implications. Saving a couple of bucks per bag is not worth risking breeding or some other problem.

Am I being too cautious? - I don't have any real inputs other than according to their own literature phos deficiency impacts breeding efficiency & causes depressed fertility (one of the last things a cow calf producer wants to hear).

Phosphorous is too important a Mineral to skimp on in the South, especially. I'd stick to the one thats a litter bit higher in price....Remenber, you get what you pay for. Most of the time anyway.

I knew you'd have a sound & definitive input - I even though of PM'ing you, as your knowledge in the area of mineral mixes is legendary. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Yes I thought the same thing about the lowered cost (you get what you pay for most of the time), I just wasn't sure of the importance of the phos in the mix.

Farminlund":57xujimb said:
I knew you'd have a sound & definitive input - I even though of PM'ing you, as your knowledge in the area of mineral mixes is legendary. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Yes I thought the same thing about the lowered cost (you get what you pay for most of the time), I just wasn't sure of the importance of the phos in the mix.
PM me anytime, that's one of the great things about these boards. We carry a Generic Blend Hi-Mag that sells real good, but it's overall content of Phosphorous is too low for my likings.

I guess they produce 5-6 grades of Mineral to suit everone's billfold.

Gotta be careful with too much phosphorus in a mineral. Even though some mixes have more "P" in the mix, it makes the mix VERY bitter and cows won't eat it.

By eating less total mineral they will actually be getting less phosphorus than they would with a lower percentage mix.

Finding a mineral that they like and consume more of is some times the best deal.

Just something to think about.

Phosphorus is the "breed back" mineral. in this case i say if it aint broke dont break it.

Phosphorus is important to breeding, growth, and milk production. In many formulations, when magnesium is increased phosphorus is reduced to make room in the mix. The theory is that it is better to keep them alive rather than maximize performance. It is possible to keep phosphorus at 4 to 6% in a high mag mineral but it is also important to make sure cattle will eat it. Phosphorus isn't bitter but magnesium is so adding molasses, petrolatum, distillers grains, etc are used to help mask the bitter taste and get consistent consumption. Most companies make a 'cheap' high mag mineral for those producers that won't pay more than $7/bag, however, most make much better formulated products that provide the phos, mag, copper, vitamins, etc.

OK What can you tell me about this product called Tasco? I got some material about it. Says that it will help the heat stress and the conception rates.

Tasco is a seaweed extract that is a vascodilater which increases blood flow to the extremities of the animal. This means the animal should dissipate heat better so they spend less time standing in water or shade. This is how I understand what the Tasco folks going around saying. There's a couple of other products that compete in the same arena: MTB100 from Alltech and Endo-Fighter from ADM. All of them have their own data but I don't see any universities promoting them much except the Tasco. I believe I read somewhere that VA Tech and a couple other universities are owners or partial owners of the patent(s) on Tasco which leaves that suspect. I know of a lot of producers that feed CTC for that purpose.

Latest posts