Minerals for bottle calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I've had my bottle calves for three weeks now... they are all 4-6 weeks old(on grass of a day, I put them in the barn of a night,they have hay when in the barn) and I was wondering when I should give them some sort of minerals? In a few weeks, now, yesterday? :oops: Also what kind loose or block(The only minerals I've gotten were for my horses and they were in blocks.)and what brand would you guys recommend?
Thank you!

Just get loose mineral. Your local feed store should have a good quality one. If all you have is Tractor supply get the purina and that should do fine for what you have. Put a trough in the barn so it stays dry and give them free choice.

Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)

TexasBred":gaut8kk6 said:
Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)
I always have starter in front them at all times... They have recently found out the starter is delicious! :lol:

I've never given mineral to something that small. Not sayin you shouldn't, I've just never done it.

my bottle calves are always in the a pen next to cow lot when I raise one or two. when they are about 6 to 8 weeks old and eating some grain , I let them into the lot where the mineral is at to have a bigger place to run buck and pick at the grass along the edges . once the find the mineral trough they will go to it and eat a little and Ive seen them do it quite often. not sure how much or if they actually get anything but they will do it and then go to water trough and fill their belly. I cant see where it hurts anything . I also see sucking calves come to trough with their dams and get some.

Standardbredgirl":1vsq5plb said:
TexasBred":1vsq5plb said:
I always have starter in front them at all times... They have recently found out the starter is delicious! :lol:
They should be getting all the need from their feed but if you want to drop a handful of mineral into something for them it certainly won't hurt anything. I doubt they'll eat it though.

TexasBred":44jupydd said:
Standardbredgirl":44jupydd said:
TexasBred":44jupydd said:
They should be getting all the need from their feed but if you want to drop a handful of mineral into something for them it certainly won't hurt anything. I doubt they'll eat it though.
Will I need to offer them minerals when they are weaned? Sorry for all the questions :oops: but these are my first calves, I just want to make sure they're getting everything they need.

Just my $.02: If I were you I'd call my vet to see what he recommends based on your area (eg: are you selenium or copper deficient?). My calves have access to the same minerals as the cows but generally don't start eating it until they're at least 2-3 months old. Loose mineral is available year 'round (which negates the need for a separate sale block/loose salt) and based on the newly implemented VFD we planned to switch to medicated mineral (with CTC/chlortetracycline) at the end of May but our vet called and said, based on the early influx of flies & ticks this year, to start a couple weeks ago.

No, you're right, should have been more specific. Vet called about putting out CTC mineral because of the ticks but the discussion included spraying for flies earlier than "normal" this year. BTW we hardly had any ticks last year, even on the dogs & cats (and us) but they're already bad.

Latest posts