Minerals. Are they needed?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1bf0s194 said:
ricebeltrancher":1bf0s194 said:
Rafter S":1bf0s194 said:
I can tell you one thing that I have proved to myself. I need to always feed salt that has the iodine added (EDDI salt). I had always been told that I should feed it to help prevent foot rot, and had always done so. A few years ago I thought to myself "I never have problems with foot rot. I should be able to feed the plain white salt." So I switched. Guess what? Apparently the reason I'd never had problems with foot rot was because I'd always fed the EDDI salt, because I had two or three cows that promptly developed it. I switched back to the EDDI salt and the problem stopped.

Thanks for reminding me. We are going to have to look into it now that we can't get medicated mineral. :cry2:
Welcome back Ricebelt. Been missing you........Look for mineral with elevated levels of iodine (eddi) and zinc.

Same here! We've got a barn full of show lambs and goats, so free time has been pretty limited lately! :nod: We have a good relationship with the coop we buy all of our feed from...I might make a point to talk to them about it soon and see what they have to say. Most of their feed business is Purina.

Latest posts