Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
Hi All,
Hope your summer is treating you well, its hot as heck here in Texas. I am wondering about mineral. With all the choices out there I wanted to get some advice on what mineral to feed my pairs this summer? I often pasture horses with my cattle so it has to be horse safe as well. Any thoughts? Thanks....

Ask your local extension agent, they will know what minerals your area is low in. Also ask a local supplier and see what they have in stock.

Local feed store should be able to help you. I use purina wind and rain minerals mainly because of the weather resistance. Most loose minerals for cattle are safe for horses. If you decide to go with mineral tubs make sure the protein comes from natural sources. Horses don't need urea.

Mooreman mineral is what I'm using. They have different blends. I used a spring blend the last 8 weeks my cows seemed to like and it was a lot cheaper ( $17 vs $42) than the last bag I purchased. They make a summer blend that I hope to buy next cause I'm out. Maybe somebody can explain how the season blends work. I suppose it all depends on what their eating and their needs for what your feeding them. Seems like mineral intake goes up as feed quality goes down in nutrition ?

Spring blend is probably a high mag mineral for grass tetany. Summer blends are probably less mag and may be medicated for fly control. My cows eat more mineral in spring right before and after calving and up to breeding, then it kind of tapers off over the late summer and fall.

Purina is the best there is, and worth it, impo. We use a 7.5-12, no fly control, non-medicated. Phosphorus is the limiter (7.5). The lower the phosphorus, the more they eat. The other popular blend is a 12-12. All of the fly control formulas are 7.5 phosphorus so they eat enough for it to work. They also come in molasses tubs...good for heifers.

ricebeltrancher":2kzq3miq said:
Purina is the best there is, and worth it, impo. We use a 7.5-12, no fly control, non-medicated. Phosphorus is the limiter (7.5). The lower the phosphorus, the more they eat. The other popular blend is a 12-12. All of the fly control formulas are 7.5 phosphorus so they eat enough for it to work. They also come in molasses tubs...good for heifers.

Fly control is a joke unless your neighbor is doing it as well.
I haven't been able to keep the flies fenced out yet.

As far as mineral goes I have found none better than Sweetlyx 4-1
http://www.sweetlix.com/products/C11A22 ... ments.aspx

IGR fly control may be a joke to you Bruno but it works great for us. That is the only fly control we use, and we have hardly any flies around our cattle. I can guarantee you that my neighbors are NOT using it, and we have a large dairy less than a half mile away. Flies bug the horses, and are in my house, but not my cows.

Fire Sweep Ranch":g2fisk0j said:
IGR fly control may be a joke to you Bruno but it works great for us. That is the only fly control we use, and we have hardly any flies around our cattle. I can guarantee you that my neighbors are NOT using it, and we have a large dairy less than a half mile away. Flies bug the horses, and are in my house, but not my cows.

HeII of a difference across the fence and a 1/2 a mile away.

Caustic is right. If you have a fence line neighbor that isn't using IGRs then you probably won't be idiot as well. I have had good luck using the IGR minerals but my only neighbor that buts up to me does also.

B&M Farms":ln6y0yxn said:
Caustic is right. If you have a fence line neighbor that isn't using IGRs then you probably won't be idiot as well. I have had good luck using the IGR minerals but my only neighbor that buts up to me does also.

Nothing eliminates them but IGR mineral works as well as anything. Neighbors flies might decide to lay their eggs in the manure on your side of the fence. Bingo...reduction in NEW flies. The Purina Mineral is a good mineral. I've been using the All Season AV=4 with chelated minerals and IGR for quite a while now and seems to work well but nobody beats Vigortone for quality control and consistency. Nothing in a mineral is palatable thus the addition of things like cottonseed meal, dried molasses or DDG to encourage consumption.

Caustic Burno":2i2sxny3 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2i2sxny3 said:

HeII of a difference across the fence and a 1/2 a mile away.

A half mile would be a dream! I've got 5 herds adjoining my fences. They have others adjoinging them and it goes on and on. River seperates some others.

Any mineral is better than none. Mine have minerals out continually. Most mineral blocks are 97% salt and not even close to being what is needed.

I absolutely go hi mag in the spring.

Neighbor has got Char's that look black they are so covered up.
Rich fella bought the place and put cow's on it and has a fellow keep it mowed and the fence's up.
Every evening mine and his have to say hi at the fence it is some kind of ritual.
I feed Vigortone with IGR worked great until I got a neighbor that doesn't.
I can keep from reproducing on my side but not on his so fly control here is maninly Permethrin.

Caustic Burno":34a82uau said:
ricebeltrancher":34a82uau said:

Agreed.

Caustic Burno":2i7r6j9f said:
ricebeltrancher":2i7r6j9f said:

All I'll say is that it should be cheap. :nod:

dwa":2fqlnee3 said:
Does anyone know for a fact if IGR has any affect on earthworms and dung beetles? Just curious.

Manufacture says it is specific to flies. I've been using it for several years have have worlds of dung beetles and earthworms.

I guess it depends on where you live. The dairy is a half mile, tons of flies, but our neighbor, who shares a fence line, uses NO MINERAL and does not even vaccinate. Their cattle are covered with flies,not mine. So it works for us, and I am glad...

What would the fly population on cattle be without any form of fly control? Would their body be practically solid with flies? There are no cattle on neighboring farms here. We use the fly control mineral, back rubbers, and an occasional spray, and the cows still have some flies.

herofan":3285e3m0 said:
What would the fly population on cattle be without any form of fly control? Would their body be practically solid with flies? There are no cattle on neighboring farms here. We use the fly control mineral, back rubbers, and an occasional spray, and the cows still have some flies.

Getting rid of "all" flies is impossible. We can only try and reduce the numbers.

Latest posts