mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Why are my aniamls craving mineral so bad right now? I put out a 50 lb sack of Super 10 on Monday evening, and by the next morning it was almost gone. Any ideas?

GMN

GMN":3qph08ic said:
Why are my aniamls craving mineral so bad right now? I put out a 50 lb sack of Super 10 on Monday evening, and by the next morning it was almost gone. Any ideas?

GMN

GMN, how many head of cattle had access to the bag of mineral? A typical mineral would normally supply the needs of 200 cows for one day. If you're grazing your grass could be getting tough and losing a lot of its nutrients this late in the summer so the cattle could just be craving some of the trace minerals. Is your dairy ration fortified with vitamins and minerals?

yes it has minerals and vitamins in it. I thought maybe it was because of the grass, it is getting real dry here, even though we had some rain last week, its getting crispy, especially on the pastures.

Gail

GMN":3chaew1w said:
yes it has minerals and vitamins in it. I thought maybe it was because of the grass, it is getting real dry here, even though we had some rain last week, its getting crispy, especially on the pastures.

Gail

True...ours is the same way. Not much to it now but filler. Keep the mineral out..the cattle might slow down some. If you are feeding a grain ration made by a local feed mill ask them to increase the minerals. It's very inexpensive and actually shouldn't raise the price of the ration over a dollar a ton even if they double the minerals assuming they are using a highly concentrated mineral premix.

Ours did the same thing till I moved them to a new pasture with a lot of clover and some really good grass. Now a bag will last a week or so, then it was a day or so.

I think that is the solution.... if you have a better pasture, put them in it for a while. My cattle were hitting the minerals real hard last week, until I switched them to another pasture that was about 6-10 inches grown up. They have slowed on the minerals (except for my usual big eaters) and have been on that pasture for several days now.

Latest posts