??? Mineral Supplements ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
I know what I do for mineral/salt supplments, loose minerals year round, fly blocks added when needed, hi mag in the spring along with loose mineral to take care of fescue issues. With so many brands/kinds/theories. Does anyone know of a year round sound program using one brand (one dealer) Right now were using three different brands of different products from three different suppliers. We have tried to get on the crystalyx program as we use them for hi mag in the early spring but, the dealer has trouble getting stuff from them. Any thoughts suggestions, etc.

We just use the different minerals from vigortone. CTC and himag in the early spring, CTC and IGR in the late spring and through summer, CTC in the winter.

dun

Herefordcross":1pu73ntv said:
What's IGR, sorry if that's a dumb question but, I don't know the answer.

Insect Growth Regulator. Eggs hatch in the manure but the don;t mature into flys

dun

Checked their site out the nearest dealer is a couple hundred miles away. Could call but, shipping will probably eat me up and I would rather deal with someone face to face. If you get a chance let me know what months you feed which mix so that I can call and get some pricing and get an estimate on what I will need. If time allows you Thanks

We just use the different minerals from vigortone. CTC and himag in the early spring, CTC and IGR in the late spring and through summer, CTC in the winter.

Dun,

What do you pay for the Vigrotone with CTC? I just bought a bag yesterday and paid $22.00 for it.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl":3bdcutvf said:
Dun,

What do you pay for the Vigrotone with CTC? I just bought a bag yesterday and paid $22.00 for it.

Farmgirl

Not sure about the straight CTC, with CTC and IGR it runs $24.25. I'm too lazy to look back through the invoices from last winter.

dun

You should be able to purchase a good mineral (16:8) well fortified with trace mineral and vitamins, CTC 1600 mg/lb, with Altosid for about $20/bag. That would also include weather protection.

Hereford, the mineral program would depend on the feeding program and calving season.

I am an advocate of having a year round mineral program that doesn't fluctuate much, however, you can then add magnesium when needed, fly control when needed, protein supplements when needed, etc.

I know many producers that want a high powered breeder mineral then drop off to a trace mineral salt block over the summer.

The most recent mineral recommendations (for KY, TN, VA) I've seen warrant a mineral following this nutrient analysis with 4 oz daily intake:

calcium 16%
phosphorus 8%
potassium 1%
magnesium 2% (unless tetany prevention needed then 14%)
salt 15%
copper 1500 ppm
manganese 4000 ppm
zinc 4000 ppm
selenium 26.4 ppm
vitamin A 200,000 IU/lb
vitamin D3 37,5000 IU/lb
vitamin E 100 IU/lb

Not all mineral is alike, some is very dusty and not palatable even though it may fit these guidelines. Petrolatum (weatherproofing), molasses and mineral oil can work to aid in getting cattle to eat it consistently.

Like I said earlier we buy a few different things from a few different people and it makes it a pain in the behind, nobody custom mixes here, I would like to get fixed up with someone who can supply year round with the changes we need at different times of the year but, still have the same base minerals.

can you give too much supplement?the mineral we are using states to mix with feed...we are currently feeding from self feeders...can they ingest too much?

angcuss":2kkf1zdj said:
can you give too much supplement?the mineral we are using states to mix with feed...we are currently feeding from self feeders...can they ingest too much?
If it's a pre-mix Mineral, you better follow the feeding directions, especially if it has CTC in it. Why dont you just feed a free choice Mineral this time of year?

I'm new at this..currently working a relatives farm..learning as I go but question some of the way things are done.What is CTC? I'll check the mineral he is feeding now for it since he switched due to cost...I've noticed on occasion they have gone without for extended periods.Thank you for your post.

You should always follow the feeding instructions especially if medications are involved. There's a company here that custom mixes minerals. They sell through dealers and probably have a minimum for custom mixes. You can find out more info at http://www.ultralyx.com.

We just use Right Now mineral and it seems to do the best. ONYX really works 60 days or so before breeding. HIGH MAG in Winter and early Spring. They have a customized mineral for each season.