Mineral program

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3uxspt86 said:
J&D Cattle":3uxspt86 said:
I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.
Unfortunately you don't always see the benefits immediately but you definitely will see the consequences of NOT having a good mineral program pretty quickly.

You got that right TB, some benefits are hard to measure or pin point specifically. I can say that I haven't had to pay attention to flies at all in 3 years with their fly control mineral. The time and money spent with that alone were well worth it. Others in my area have lost several to anaplasmosis too and we haven't had any issues and will continue to use their medicated mineral.

J&D Cattle":1hih7won said:
I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.
Appreciate your input. I use medicated fly control also, & getting ready to purchase.Do I need a prescription from vet to buy it since the new laws are in effect?

reeler":1ji5vnfo said:
J&D Cattle":1ji5vnfo said:
Appreciate your input. I use medicated fly control also, & getting ready to purchase.Do I need a prescription from vet to buy it since the new laws are in effect?

I was told yes. My vet is supposed to come out this week or next to do my farm visit and will then write the scrip. With as warm as it's been I'll probably start on it sooner than normal.

IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.

J&D Cattle":3tzv64ww said:
reeler":3tzv64ww said:
J&D Cattle":3tzv64ww said:

I was told yes. My vet is supposed to come out this week or next to do my farm visit and will then write the scrip. With as warm as it's been I'll probably start on it sooner than normal.
Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .

TexasBred":1qfczai9 said:
IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.

Yes, their medicated fly control 5600 requires a VFD. We buy the 5600 to aide in the prevention of anaplasmosis.

JSCATTLE":1p45eo0v said:
J&D Cattle":1p45eo0v said:
reeler":1p45eo0v said:

Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.

J&D Cattle":sn5e8n1r said:
JSCATTLE":sn5e8n1r said:
J&D Cattle":sn5e8n1r said:

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.
I don't think I've ever seeneed much less thought about feeding medicated mineral. I don't agree with feeding antibiotics to every animal.

J&D Cattle":2ptn4tg1 said:
TexasBred":2ptn4tg1 said:

Yes, their medicated fly control 5600 requires a VFD. We buy the 5600 to aide in the prevention of anaplasmosis.
BUT it requires the script ONLY because it contains the CTC.....not because of the IGR.

JSCATTLE":1r0jnbny said:
J&D Cattle":1r0jnbny said:
JSCATTLE":1r0jnbny said:

I don't think I've ever seeneed much less thought about feeding medicated mineral. I don't agree with feeding antibiotics to every animal.

Me either JS. The same for medicated feed.

Is Wind & Rain available with Altsoid and hi-mag in one mixture?
I've seen it all-season and with fly control, but not the above.

Yes, but it's also medicated, but only with 2800 au, on the information page I found. Didn't show a non medicated, altosid, hi mag. For what they are, their website aint worth a ****. I find it hard to find the products at times.
Check product number 0040315 to see if that's what you are looking for.

Supposedly they are working on a hi mag/av4/au. Not seen sign of that yet. I mix my own, since I couldn't find what I wanted. Hi mag straight is what I buy, then add my AD&E. Also fly control, CTC when needed. Too easy. According to an old vet who had since retired, the au levels and ade levels we had available wasn't enough anyway. Rabon is easy enough to come by.

JSCATTLE":1rjhhloj said:
J&D Cattle":1rjhhloj said:
JSCATTLE":1rjhhloj said:

I guess I see it exactly the opposite and see where lots of thought went in to it by myself and my vet to aid in the prevention of a disease which kills quite a few cattle in my area.

TexasBred":1dk3sd3u said:
J&D Cattle":1dk3sd3u said:
TexasBred":1dk3sd3u said:

BUT it requires the script ONLY because it contains the CTC.....not because of the IGR.

Exactly.

That 0040315 will work, tho I've never seen anaplasmosis here, and the only medicated feed I have used was creep feed.

Side bar: au is thought to help prevent pinkeye as well, it's off label though, iirc. There are guys here that have trouble with pinkeye in the winter that are feeding the au for "winter time anaplasmosis". Covers the pinkeye thing under the vfd for ctc for anaplas prevention.

That's all rumor though I'm sure.

talltimber":27gdbysb said:
Let a third of them fall over with anaplas and you will, or be out of the business.
Wow....a third huh?? Must have a hellacious tick problem in your cattle. Really not a problem around here.

Latest posts