Mineral program for replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

We do some feed samples yearly and have our own custom mix made. Also add Rumensin (coccidiostat) and BioMoss.

Yes, as Silver infers, it costs, but through our experience it costs less than not providing it.

And TM means Trace Mineral. Trace is a very good term for it...…….

We put out a good loose mineral for everything. Currently using Concept Aide Mag. We have started keeping TM with EDDI salt in it. We have had some warts the last 3 years and have been told that this will help. We keep out 3 types of salt blocks and loose white salt. They will consume one for a while and then move to something else. I firmly believe they will eat what they need if it is available. Consumption varies greatly during the year. We have used a mineral with IGR in the summer. Can't tell it has helped any because evidently our grass supplies a lot of what they need as during the spring and summer when the grass is growing good the 120 head don't eat over a 50 lb sack a month. Then when the grass matures in the fall they will usually consume a fair amount for a few weeks then taper back off. I've read where several cut their mineral with salt. I have never seen the need for it.

elkwc":2e2vly5n said:
We put out a good loose mineral for everything. Currently ising Concept Aide. TM be ause it has EDDI salt in it, 3 types of salt blo ks and loose white salt. They will consume obe for a while and then move to something else. I firmly brlieve they will eat what they need if it is available.

I had a bull get into the penta I was using to treat fence posts with. He didn't get far from where he drank it. Not so sure he needed that.

Silver":2tpcgzkg said:
Well if you need mineral then you need it.

True and most need much more than a trace. Whatever mineral is in that salt is hardly enough to measure. There is a reason they are made by salt companies rather than mineral companies.

TexasBred":109phakd said:
Silver":109phakd said:

True and most need much more than a trace. Whatever mineral is in that salt is hardly enough to measure. There is a reason they are made by salt companies rather than mineral companies.

And some don't need more than a trace. There is no reason I can see to throw money away to fix something that aint broken. So if you need more, spend the money. If you don't then save the money. It's not complicated.

Silver":2zifu3uf said:
TexasBred":2zifu3uf said:
Silver":2zifu3uf said:

And some don't need more than a trace. There is no reason I can see to throw money away to fix something that aint broken. So if you need more, spend the money. If you don't then save the money. It's not complicated.

If you've never used any, how would you know?

gcreekrch":11e5n7pz said:
Silver":11e5n7pz said:
TexasBred":11e5n7pz said:

If you've never used any, how would you know?

How would you know if I've ever used any or not?

You should be able to do a search on you're area..what minerals your soil is deficient in..go to your Co.farmers co.op they should have one that's blended in that direction.,and buy a bag...don't put all out at once.. and monitor consumption...if they wear it out,,gradually add white salt,till you reach a consumption amount you, and they are happy with.....

Silver":1rge3s5u said:
TexasBred":1rge3s5u said:
Silver":1rge3s5u said:

Apparently it's way over your head. Oh well, best wishes with the "Trace Mineral SALT".

TexasBred":2truc58d said:
Silver":2truc58d said:
TexasBred":2truc58d said:

Apparently it's way over your head. Oh well, best wishes with the "Trace Mineral SALT".

Not sure who's head this is over. Let me ask you then, what would I be getting back for my dollars invested in your favorite mineral that you (who apparently knows more about my operation than I do ) are so sure would be in the best interests of my cattle and therefor my bottom line?

I would say if your cows have a nice slick shiny coat, no flies buzzing around, and breed back in 60-90 days without mineral you don't need it. I've tried all kinds sold around here and have the best luck with Nutrena w/ IGR. I also use multi-min 90 in the spring and can definitely tell a difference.

Latest posts