mineral for a heffer during pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of posts on here about selenium and calcium deficiencys in cows causing calves to be small or die etc...

I know we all have the mineral blocks but I know that isnt all they need so I purchased loose mineral marked cow/calf mineral.. it has selenium and calcium as well as others in it... is this all I need to keep available to her while she carries the calf or is there more to it... she dosent use a lot of the loose mineral but does use it...

Unless you're in an area with really badly deficient soil minerals, and she is getting adequate good quality hay/forage, he shouldn;t need anything else. If there isn;t any salt in the mineral mix you might want to throw out a block of white salt, if the salt is in the minerals don;t bother.

dun

I have cows that don't like the loose minerals so I put out high mineral blocks for them and the loose minerals for the cows that don't like the blocks.Also I find that my calves would rather lick a block than loose minerals but every animal is different so I make sure they have choice if either and in the summer they get mineral blocks and mineral tubs when they are out on pasture.This works for me and maybe not everyone alse though.Have't had any retained placentas in years.

hillsdown":1xddle4v said:
I have cows that don't like the loose minerals so I put out high mineral blocks for them and the loose minerals for the cows that don't like the blocks.Also I find that my calves would rather lick a block than loose minerals but every animal is different so I make sure they have choice if either and in the summer they get mineral blocks and mineral tubs when they are out on pasture.This works for me and maybe not everyone alse thoogh.Have't had any retained placentas in years.

I'vefound that some brands of minerals just don;t seem to be very palatable to cows. We had one brand that we had used for years and all of a sudden they quit eating it. Turned out they had changed some of the ingredients. Went to another brand and they eat it fine.
Any of the hi-mag minerals can be a problem because the mag is bitter (a cow told me it was anyway), a little flavor inhancer helps with the consumption.

dun

I forgot to mention that I have the black tub out there all the time too... they love that stuff...lol My heffer I had AI'd this weekend has a adg of 1.85 so I know she is getting the protien she needs wether it be from the hay and grass or combination of that and the tubs.. I was mostly worried about mineral but I feel better now....

Billdevaul":3rpab2zb said:
I forgot to mention that I have the black tub out there all the time too... they love that stuff...lol My heffer I had AI'd this weekend has a adg of 1.85 so I know she is getting the protien she needs wether it be from the hay and grass or combination of that and the tubs.. I was mostly worried about mineral but I feel better now....
Your cattle need the loose mineral 365 days a year.
Not sure I understand the 1.85 comment. Are you saying she has been gaining 1.85#/day since a certain date? Or are you saying she has a 1.85# weight per day of age? That would equal a 675# yearling weight.

I was wrong on the 1.85, that was the calf I had listed above her in my computer... this one is 1.97adg,(average daily gain)

she is 793 now, minus 75 pounds birth weight, divided by 365 days old

793 - 75 =718 pound gain since birth divided by 365 days = 1.967 average daily gain...

so now I have the numbers but What is average for red angus???

Latest posts