mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

haase

Reaction score
I have been reading threads about mineral feeding, I have been using mineral blocks and from what most people have said that the mineral feeders are better. Was just wondering what feeders are better for bag minerals, the ones that sit on the ground or the ones on stands and what type of bag mineral feed. thanks.

I like the ones that sit on the ground. You can stake them down and bulls or cows can't move them. As for mineral check with your local co-op or feed store for their recomendation on bag minerals.

We use Dun's model, hung from a tree with chain and swivel. We put 100lbs per barrel. Put up as many as you need to keep them all happy. They don't all 'play well with others' and some have a tendency to try and cut line!

haase":ww9toviw said:
I have been reading threads about mineral feeding, I have been using mineral blocks and from what most people have said that the mineral feeders are better. Was just wondering what feeders are better for bag minerals, the ones that sit on the ground or the ones on stands and what type of bag mineral feed. thanks.

This is my first try at posting a picture and hope it works. :roll:

Free tote tanks, some scrap steel I stuck back over the years and some welding. Used it since May of 06 and it's worked out great. Heavy and cows and bulls don't move it. Cheap :lol:
resize.JPG

Thanks for the tips, I wont be able to use Duns hanging type from the trees because I dont have any trees in my pasture, except on the outside of my fenceline. I will have to go with one that sits on the ground or one that is on a stand. Was wondering if any one has had any luck with the ones that sit on a stand or do they get knocked over?

Tried the ones on stands years ago bulls would tear them all to pieces. Went to the ones that you stake flat to the ground and have had no more trouble. ;-)

I have a couple of pastures that don;t have any trees (more now then 3 weeks ago) for those I ue and old metal creep feeder with a plastic liner that's on metal skids. I removed the excluder, works pretty well.

dun

For the bullyboys we use those polytuff mineral feeders that sit flat to the ground and have a rubber composite flap on top. They quickly learn to put the nose under the flap and lap the mineral. They seem to last. We gave up on feeders on a stand. I have one left - they either rust out quickly or are destroyed by the boys.

:mad:

Billy

haase":mmxfo6ff said:

We've had good luck with the Behlen Brand Wind Vane types. They dont rust, and have a solid tubing stand. Stay away from the hollow tubing brands, rust out in a couple years. The Behlen models are around 140.00 and will hold over 100 pounds of loose Mineral.

I like the big wooden ones, with the 4 legs, and a big spot to pour the mineral into it. These work real well, and have a rood on them, so the mineral does not get wet, a large area, for loose mineral, and salt blocks, etc.. Very heavy and sturdy.

GMN

Hey Crowder,

It is those Behlen wind vanes that I hate. Yep, the bottom ring is solid, but the rest is tubular - very thin- and they rust and fall apart over a couple years. I've gone through about seven Behlen's wind vanes, never again. You can get the Behlen bull feeders with the flapper for about the same, I gotthem for less money than the wind vanes, and they will not rust out, bulls can't flip them either.

Billy

MrBilly":2y1qymjo said:
Hey Crowder,

It is those Behlen wind vanes that I hate. Yep, the bottom ring is solid, but the rest is tubular - very thin- and they rust and fall apart over a couple years. I've gone through about seven Behlen's wind vanes, never again. You can get the Behlen bull feeders with the flapper for about the same, I gotthem for less money than the wind vanes, and they will not rust out, bulls can't flip them either.

Billy
I've got 3 of them and cant get them to rust.Mine are all solid tube except for the bracket that supports the wind vane.What color are yours?

Mine are black. Bottom ring and ring that holds the mineral pan are solid. The rest is thin tubular steel. It rusts where ever the tubular contacts the solid steel and then the thing just falls apart one leg at a time. Tried welding, but too thin for that, tried supports - too much trouble. I've got one left. The bull took the top off three days ago where the vane support arm joins the pan ring.

Mine were Behlen manufactured.

If all that was enough, when a bought a couple new ones two or three years ago, none of the holes matched up - had to re-drill them to put the plastic cover and vane on the support arm - told the company rep - his answer - real hard to find good help. Yeah!! It's goin to even harder to find one on our place shortly.

Billy

Bought one that sits flat on the ground like angus/brangus was talking about, drove some stakes in the ground , I think all i did was push the frost straight down, they will probally freeze in the ground tonight. Was alot of fun watching them trying to figure out how to use it, they thought it was a face rub. Maybe by tommorow they will figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts