milkmaid

Help Support CattleToday:

Travis Bryan

Reaction score
Hey,
I was just wondering how your calf w/ the crooked neck ever got???

P.S. I have been of the boards for a few days and was just wondering if lancemart's heifer ever calved. Thanks!

I shot him.

Right from the start I told that calf that as long as he wanted to live and tried to get well I'd let him live and do my best to help him. He finally gave up; I guess it was ~2 weeks ago. I could see it in his eyes, and I said OK.

I lost one heifer this spring to scours and this one was the first I've ever had to shoot - my track record isn't looking too good right now. There have been others I've brought home that have done fine so I'm not sure what it is with these last two. Lost causes to start with, perhaps. I have a new calf on the premises - see my other post - and hopefully this one will do good. Hopefully.

milkmaid":3a4hh3es said:
I shot him.

Oh Milkmaid, I'm so sorry you had to do that. :(

Right from the start I told that calf that as long as he wanted to live and tried to get well I'd let him live and do my best to help him. He finally gave up; I guess it was ~2 weeks ago. I could see it in his eyes, and I said OK.

You are an amazing young lady! There are people who have been in this business for years and years that haven't learned that lesson yet.

I lost one heifer this spring to scours and this one was the first I've ever had to shoot - my track record isn't looking too good right now. There have been others I've brought home that have done fine so I'm not sure what it is with these last two. Lost causes to start with, perhaps.

It goes with the territory. I don't mean to sound flippant or cavalier or anything like that, but regardless of how hard you try, you can't save them all. I know you did your absolute best. That is all you can do.

I have a new calf on the premises - see my other post - and hopefully this one will do good. Hopefully.

Again, I know you will do everything within your power to take care of him. Personally, I have complete faith in your abilities, determination, and knowledge. Good luck! :)

Latest posts