Milking tube/needle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I was talking to a cattlemen today that said he had a needle? that was made specifically to milk a cow down . He said that another guy had borrowed it or he would let me use it. Anyway he went on to say it was much faster than doing it by hand and no hand/arm cramps were involved. Anyone know where I can get such a device?

denoginnizer":1sd8xpgp said:
I was talking to a cattlemen today that said he had a needle? that was made specifically to milk a cow down . He said that another guy had borrowed it or he would let me use it. Anyway he went on to say it was much faster than doing it by hand and no hand/arm cramps were involved. Anyone know where I can get such a device?

Be careful with those things. You can cause mastitis by using them if they aren't sterile.

Fuller Supply has them.

It's not faster than milking by hand. It just opens the teat and the milk flows out by gravity.

Only time I use them is on a cows with real short teats.

In a word, IMO --- don't.

Don't use 'em. And especially not from this fellow, since he's obviously reusing them on different cows -- yikes. :shock:

I'll second Milkmaid. The only time we used them was for damaged teats and only long enough for them to heal to the point they could be milked normally. We had some with a little valve in the end so you didn;t have to keep taking them out and reinserting them.

dun

I couldn't tell you how many times I've used those things for a cow with balloon tits or a bad quarter that a calf won't touch. Personally, if the tit is swollen, hard and sore, I'd rather put a needle in there and get my hands away from ole Bessie. We do sterilize them and encourage our cows not to share needles. :lol:

cfpinz

Well I'm pretty sure I screwed up! Used a metal milking straw/needle on a young cow. Having to collect milk for bottle to give to newborn till it figured out the nursing process. May be a dumb sucker. Looking brighter today until I go out to collect some milk in bucket, go to back left quarter and the milk is dark pink. Blood in the milk. So I call the vet and tell him and mention I was using a milking needle and he got upset and said NEVER on a healthy young cow. There are valves etc that can be damaged. Not wise to use them. I have been very gentle and only stuck them in about an inch. Vet said doesn't matter, they are bad. He was pretty upset and so now I'm upset. I've been working hard to help this calf and heifer and I feel awful if I have done something to mess up her udders permanently. The calf will only suck the back 2 quarters right now which is good because it wasnt at all before. Bad thing is one of those is the one with the blood in it. He said it wouldn't hurt the calf as long as the quarter wasn't swollen, hot etc. bag looks fine. for now!! May need to come do an infusion if it gets worse he said. So, has anyone used a straw to milk ? Have I ruined this cows teats? Feeling really bad. I had no idea, nor did my husband that this was something we should not be doing. Only time we had ever used one was for an old cow with a broken down bag, that was too large for calf to nurse. Thanks! Colleen

Only as a last-ditch deal. Not for convenience.
Have used them - on very rare occasions!!! - on cows that I just could not get any milk out of the teat orifice.
Even if you clean/disinfect the teat, and use a sterile cannula...mastitis is a real threat.

Yeah I agree! I feel stupid. I thought it was a good idea. NOt so obviously. Now we have to worry about that quarter getting infected if that is he reason for the blood. We have had enough stress saving the calf. Doing better today!
Also, I didn't mean to put this on this really old post from 2006, but was reading these. Thought I had deleted it and was going to rewrite in "Calving".

Rarely used on some dairy cattle..juice not worth the squeeze, risk for infection and damage too great.. Best thing now is for your calf to keep working on that teat, keep things moving..keeps fresh blood supply and WBCs moving to that area to fight infection and repair possible damage. just my opinion

Thanks. This is reassuring. Vet said to let it keep nursing, but I had only talked to him briefly on the phone so I was worried. I guess we just need to make sure she doesn't develop an infection.
Colleen

Latest posts