5/8" needle for subq injections

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Went to beef cattle workshop put on by extension service. Had a chuteside demonstration of proper way to work calves done by vet. For subq injections vet recommended using a 5/8" long needle, inserting it straight into side of neck without tenting. Said that was his favorite way to do subq. On the way home went by feed store and bought some 5/8" needles and tried them next day when worked some cows. Thought they worked great and eliminated chance of sticking fingers when tenting skin using longer needles subq. Now just have to break habit of reaching out to grab and tent skin. Been doing it this way for so many years it's become just natural to try to tent the skin.

We use either 1/2 or 5/8 inch needles but our vet said to tent the skin. It isn't too hard unless the animal in the chute is being a jerk. They have gotten it just stuck in too. Don't see too much in the way of lumps, but I do make it a habit of massaging it a bit so it is well dispersed. Interesting that the vet didn't think tenting the skin it necessary.
I think BQA requires subQ and don't think I have ever seen them NOT "tent" the skin. Next time I go for re-cert I will have to ask.

I have heard about this technique. The way I heard it described is use a 5/8 " up to 1" and go in at a 45 degree angle to just get into the tissue under the hide. The BQA classes and videos I have seen, all recommend tenting. The few times I have watched my vet, he uses the 45 degree technique.

I think the tenting is so the inexp don't accidently poke a vein or inj into the bloodstream directly somehow...

The knots form when the vaccine is injected into the thin film of muscle between the layers of fat. Hard to know when you are in that layer or not. Not sure why you would not want to tent. And if you hit your fingers you ought to let somebody else do the shots.

BQA I attended a few years ago sponsored by the Extension also recommended not tenting & the 45 degree angle - primarily to avoid inadvertently poking yourself with the needle. That said, I still tent because there are fewer knots/less prominent.

Texas PaPaw said:
Went to beef cattle workshop put on by extension service. Had a chuteside demonstration of proper way to work calves done by vet. For subq injections vet recommended using a 5/8" long needle, inserting it straight into side of neck without tenting. Said that was his favorite way to do subq. On the way home went by feed store and bought some 5/8" needles and tried them next day when worked some cows. Thought they worked great and eliminated chance of sticking fingers when tenting skin using longer needles subq. Now just have to break habit of reaching out to grab and tent skin. Been doing it this way for so many years it's become just natural to try to tent the skin.

Here is an old post I made:

I wrote this a long time ago - but this is how I do needling - works for me:

Squeeze her up real tight, target the triangle close to the shoulder back as far as possible along the top side of the neck, slap her quick and hard two or three times in the same spot with the back of your hand and hit her fast with the needle - she will likely not even feel it. No chance to lose the drug by sticking it out the other side of the tent.

Work BEHIND the head gate and in front of the shoulder.

Sub q - hold the needle like you are holding a knife for a downward stab - point the syringe and needle down - slide the needle in parallel to the neck between the skin and the meat - and push the plunger with your thumb - takes about three seconds total. Tenting is a time waster and increases the difficulty if you are doing lots of cattle. The other advantage is it only takes one hand to do this.

Hope everyone has a nice day - hot as heck here and I am hand clearing about two miles of heavy brush with a chainsaw along an old fence line. Only 4 more days to go.

Cheers.

I use a 5/8" needle and just jab them in the neck and squeeze. The heifers that I plan on selling private treaty I change the needle on otherwise I just keep jabbing till the needle gets dull.

Logar said:
Texas PaPaw said:

Here is an old post I made:

I wrote this a long time ago - but this is how I do needling - works for me:

Squeeze her up real tight, target the triangle close to the shoulder back as far as possible along the top side of the neck, slap her quick and hard two or three times in the same spot with the back of your hand and hit her fast with the needle - she will likely not even feel it. No chance to lose the drug by sticking it out the other side of the tent.

Work BEHIND the head gate and in front of the shoulder.

Sub q - hold the needle like you are holding a knife for a downward stab - point the syringe and needle down - slide the needle in parallel to the neck between the skin and the meat - and push the plunger with your thumb - takes about three seconds total. Tenting is a time waster and increases the difficulty if you are doing lots of cattle. The other advantage is it only takes one hand to do this.

Hope everyone has a nice day - hot as heck here and I am hand clearing about two miles of heavy brush with a chainsaw along an old fence line. Only 4 more days to go.

Cheers.

Your sub q method is the method my vets suggests and how I do it most of the time. I tent once in awhile. I prefer a pistol style syringe. I a few seconda I'm done.

I prefer to tent in front of shoulder skin, but when we have a roping crew, they do in the arm pit. I wonder if there is any reason not to do it there? I kind of like to know about a knot if one happens (like on neck), so I have to hold my tongue when we have ground help.

I prefer to tent in front of shoulder skin, but when we have a roping crew, they do in the arm pit. I wonder if there is any reason not to do it there?
My technique & site preference is the same as yours but I fully understand the constraints when relying on a roping crew. FWIW Several vaccines specify the product should be injected high on the neck (closer to the lymph nodes) for the best efficacy. Vibrio comes to mind. Hopefully our resident DVM's will chime in.

Latest posts