Milking out a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
Recently I have had to milk out a couple of cows. The ones where the calf doesn't seem to want to suck all 4 teats. Well as you know wither you have a squeeze or not you run the risk of getting an arm broke or bruising up the cows ankle by tying it.
Here is a little trick. Put the calf between you and the cow with its mouth near the udder. Most of the time the cow seems to think it is the calf sucking and all goes well.
If you have any other ideas I would appreciate them as I don't mend as fast as I used to.

The easiest way I;ve found is a flank rope. Run the rope over the back and just in front of the udder, slip the tag end of the rope into the loop at the other end and pull it TIGHT. Cow can sort of wave her leg but can;t really kick and in most cases can;t even wave it at you. If you will have to do it again later you can loosen the rope enough that the cow can walk and leave it in place so that the next time you need it you will only have to cinch it back tight.

dun":1a3j5ji0 said:
The easiest way I;ve found is a flank rope. Run the rope over the back and just in front of the udder, slip the tag end of the rope into the loop at the other end and pull it TIGHT. Cow can sort of wave her leg but can;t really kick and in most cases can;t even wave it at you. If you will have to do it again later you can loosen the rope enough that the cow can walk and leave it in place so that the next time you need it you will only have to cinch it back tight.
Never herd of it. Latter today I'll get my chance to try it.
Thanks.

novatech":2thqtfqn said:
dun":2thqtfqn said:
Never herd of it. Latter today I'll get my chance to try it.
Thanks.
In the days before all of the fancy stop kickers were invented that was what the old dairymen used. Even into the late 70s that's all my old mentor ever used.

backhoeboogie":2ddcqp3n said:
Take a look at this Nova. Let me know if the link works. This was mainly built to graft nurse calves. It has been used for other cows twice. Pretty simple to build. You really wouldn't have to hinge doors on both ends but it makes things easier.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144
I saw where you posted that before. I don't like putting my cows in the squeeze. I did something similar. Just cut doors into the side of the approach chute going of to the loading chute. (Same place I AI.) Although they stay a lot calmer they will still kick, especially when the teats are sore.

When milking a cow that likes to, or has a tendancy to kick, we flip the tail over the back. This is a two man job, one on the tail, the other milking. Take the tail and with one hand at the base, flip the tail over the back, make sure the tail forms a "C". Not to tight as you do not want to damage the nerves. Remember not to twist the tail, and keep it inline with the spine. Then the milker can milk and not worry about getting kicked. Works everytime. The vet also does this when she is cutting bulls.

Nova, the flank rope really works. That's what I do when a cow needs milked or when training a calf to nurse, if necessary.

We just tie the hind leg back on the same side that we are working on. Just enough that they can keep the foot on the ground, but they can't bring it forward to kick, nor can they kick with the other side.

randiliana":1z3884es said:
We just tie the hind leg back on the same side that we are working on. Just enough that they can keep the foot on the ground, but they can't bring it forward to kick, nor can they kick with the other side.
I did that until I brused up a cows leg. Actually she did it to herself.

Well I did the flank rope thing and I still have use of both arms. It works.
Thanks a million for the tip.

novatech":1i5f4ufb said:
randiliana":1i5f4ufb said:
I did that until I brused up a cows leg. Actually she did it to herself.

Well I did the flank rope thing and I still have use of both arms. It works.
Thanks a million for the tip.

Randi, "we" is just me in my little operation and I've had a lot of birthdays. I don't mess with those feet unless absolutely necessary. :)

Well, as often as not it is just me dealing with a cow that doesn't want to be milked or take on a new calf. I like the rope, cause they learn that they can't kick. I just make a loop in one end, toss it around her leg and then use a stick to pull it over a safe distance, then run the end of the rope through and tie it to a post far enough back that I'm not going to get kicked. I find that safer than trying to get a rope around her, and tying it up.

Not too worried if they bruise themselves up, usually they don't fight that hard, and a bruise is easily healed. For real nasty cows that we are adopting a calf onto, we put a pair of hobbles on. The kind with the chain if she's not terrible and the figure 8 horse hobbles if she's real nasty.

randiliana":1f2mvi35 said:
Well, as often as not it is just me dealing with a cow that doesn't want to be milked or take on a new calf. I like the rope, cause they learn that they can't kick. I just make a loop in one end, toss it around her leg and then use a stick to pull it over a safe distance, then run the end of the rope through and tie it to a post far enough back that I'm not going to get kicked. I find that safer than trying to get a rope around her, and tying it up.

Not too worried if they bruise themselves up, usually they don't fight that hard, and a bruise is easily healed. For real nasty cows that we are adopting a calf onto, we put a pair of hobbles on. The kind with the chain if she's not terrible and the figure 8 horse hobbles if she's real nasty.
Actually I found that the flank rope was easier to put on than the one around the ankle. I tossed the rope over the cow . Took a stick with a hook and pulled it under. Pulled the end through the loop and cinched it down with a half hitch. When I was done I just pulled the end of the rope and it was no fuss. It was a lot faster than the foot rope.

novatech":1t41j6a8 said:
randiliana":1t41j6a8 said:

Actually I found that the flank rope was easier to put on than the one around the ankle. I tossed the rope over the cow . Took a stick with a hook and pulled it under. Pulled the end through the loop and cinched it down with a half hitch. When I was done I just pulled the end of the rope and it was no fuss. It was a lot faster than the foot rope.
That's how I do it too

Latest posts