Milking ability

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Maybe I'm putting this on the wrong board (then again, maybe not..) but I want to start a discussion regarding milking ability of the dam in correlation to weight gain of the calf.

I have one source that says that having too much milk from the dam could offset the growth potential of the calf. One study from the Georgia Station finds that conversion of milk to beef may not be as efficient at high levels of milk production. So, "instead of going beyond 3 000 lbs of milk in beef cows, it may be more efficient to creep feed the calves."

And then there's another source that says that for an extra 10 lbs milk from the dam produces 1 lb of weaned calf (So, 1 gallon more milk per day may produce about a 150-lb heavier calf at weaning age), and that postweaning gains are not affected by the milk production of the dam up to 3 500 lbs. "Beyond this may be another story, because it is generally recognized that creep feeding results in slower and costlier gains during the feeding period following weaning."

And then there's also this to take into account: on poor range where feed is sparse, a relatively low level of milk production may be necessary to allow good reproduction, while on improved pastures a very high level of milk production may be desirable.

I'm keeping an open mind. But like I said before, I'd like to have all your's opinion on this, if at all possible, on what side you agree/disagree with.

I've never heard that a cow can give enough milk to impair the growth of her calf. Do you know where I can find that article?

We've learned the hard way that too much milk can and will affect breeding back in our environment. Our cattle run on mostly native grass, hay and cubes during the winter. We try to keep milk around the breed average or a bit less, but it's not easy. Some of the more popular Angus bulls have higher milk EPDs than we like. But in other areas of the country, those higher milking cows do a good job.

I'm never heard that too much milk would affect a calves growth. But too much milk in a cow is just as bad as too little, for the cow. Too much and she'll raise a boomer of a calf and milk herself skinny. Too little and she's putting every drop of nutrition into milk production and ends up skinny. As in most things in the cattle business, extremes are what causes problems.

I'm really sorry for getting back so late, but thanks for the info.

Frankie, check your pm please.

IluvABbeef":h366y2i9 said:
I have one source that says that having too much milk from the dam could offset the growth potential of the calf. One study from the Georgia Station finds that conversion of milk to beef may not be as efficient at high levels of milk production. So, "instead of going beyond 3 000 lbs of milk in beef cows, it may be more efficient to creep feed the calves."

The only thing I can think of, in regard to this statement, is that a heavy milking mother can cause some fairly serious milk scours, and set her calf back due to that. I cannot imagine why creep feeding would be more efficient, though, as the calf usually grows out of it and adjusts as he becomes older. :???:

And then there's also this to take into account: on poor range where feed is sparse, a relatively low level of milk production may be necessary to allow good reproduction, while on improved pastures a very high level of milk production may be desirable.

As far as I'm concerned, good milking is always desirable, as it is the calf's main source of nutrition. As far as the poor range - seems to me like that is a management/environment issue, and should be handled accordingly.