Milk thief

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
I've got a cow that I'm ready to shoot. Keeps stealing milk from other mamas while their calf nurses. We bought her in a group of supposedly bred 3 year old, second calf cows. Good looking cow, mouthed a two year old, that calved out great and is a pretty good mama. But, she keeps getting on the tit. I could put her and her calf with the horses, but that will be a real pain come winter grazing time. Anybody ever used some type of nose flap for an adult cow? I don't want to sell her until she raises her calf.

rockroadseminole":320duhlo said:
I've got a cow that I'm ready to shoot. Keeps stealing milk from other mamas while their calf nurses. We bought her in a group of supposedly bred 3 year old, second calf cows. Good looking cow, mouthed a two year old, that calved out great and is a pretty good mama. But, she keeps getting on the tit. I could put her and her calf with the horses, but that will be a real pain come winter grazing time. Anybody ever used some type of nose flap for an adult cow? I don't want to sell her until she raises her calf.
Get a better cow life is too short to put up with the BS I quit messing with problems years ago. She would grow wheels here.

it's BS.. its why she was sold to begin with I'd lay money on it.. Sell her as a pair or 3 in 1, or keep her penned separate.

Yes they make temporary rings, spiked ones that you can use - but the cow being nursed on may get used to it, and still allow it.. so you still have to watch.

Know of a local herd that had terrible trouble with it, they just kept putting more permanent rings in there cows.. But obviously their problems were coming from either not weaning heifers well enough, or keeping sucking cows around to teach the others like mentioned. Nip it.

So, it sounds like the nose rings are too little, too late? I'll put her with the horses and see how it goes. Wean her calf and sell her as bred maybe... it would be a pretty good haircut to sell her as a pair now. Purchased that lot at a real good price at the time... then price of bred cows dropped another $500.

I'm with the others, she needs to grow wheels! I had one, a few years ago. She was born here, grew off beautifully, had her first calf, and started sucking every cow in the herd. :mad: Like you, I could have separated her, but I am not in the business to make my life more complicated. Hated it, but it was the right decision to off-load her and her calf...........long before weaning.

Good luck with yours. :)

msplmtneer":3n06rw73 said:
Why don't you eat her instead of passing you troubles off on some one else? :tiphat:
Have to agree to either eat her or put her in the pound/cull cow pen when you do get rid of her. I realize that it is buyer beware when you buy a cow from the stockyards, or even at a sale somewhere, but I have a real problem with and won't let my son sell a problem cow like that, for someone else to deal with. Put her with the horses if you must, or maybe you have some younger heifers that aren't lactating, or even not bred, where she can't get any milk; then get rid of her one way or another when you wean the calf. We will sell a cow that likes to get out, or other less than stellar behavior, but not a sucker and not a cow that doesn't make any milk. I like to think that it will come back to me if I try to be a decent cattleman( woman).

Chocolate Cow":z439561x said:
Get rid of her. She'll teach the others to do what she's doing. There's nothing I hate more than a cow sucking another cow.

There us one thing worse, I had a heifer that would suck herself.

bird dog":37fecrxg said:
Chocolate Cow":37fecrxg said:
Get rid of her. She'll teach the others to do what she's doing. There's nothing I hate more than a cow sucking another cow.

There us one thing worse, I had a heifer that would suck herself.

Pictures???

Latest posts