Milk replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

TravisStormer

Reaction score
I have a Jersey bull calf that I am raising for beef. It is by itself/with our horses. My question is, how long do I give it milk replacer? We've gone through one bag, and not sure if I should get another. The calf is about 8 weeks old. We have been feeding in the morning and at night. He is in the pasture all day eating grass, etc. We also give him a small amount of calf starter grain in the evenings. I'm new to this, and anything will help.

we have always figured one bag of milk replacer per calf. we dont feed any hay to bottle calves until they weigh close to 500 pounds.

Really depends on the amount of started it is eating. If it is eating enough you can wean it.

The general rule of thumb for weaning any species of bottle baby is that they should have doubled their birth weight and are eating at least 1 lb of grain/starter/grower pellets.

when we had the dairy the rule from colleges was ( you can wean when they are eating 2 lbs of grain a day & they need good hay) done it for years. we weaned at 6 weeks

Latest posts