Milk Needle

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
OMG used a milk needle for the first time this evening. We had hand milked mama yesterday to feed her calf that didn't latch on (small calf, big nipples) in the first 12 hours…that's real hard work in 90 degrees on me and mama. A friend gave me a milk needle. Today, we got her milk dropped by hand then used the needle and only had to go in 'bout 1/2 inch and the milk was flowing. Fed baby and got a bottle for the morning if she hasn't latched on. What are the pros/cons of using a needle? Today, nothing but pro for for me but interested in the real story from the gurus. :cboy:

kucala5":3ce5hc9j said:
OMG used a milk needle for the first time this evening. We had hand milked mama yesterday to feed her calf that didn't latch on (small calf, big nipples) in the first 12 hours…that's real hard work in 90 degrees on me and mama. A friend gave me a milk needle. Today, we got her milk dropped by hand then used the needle and only had to go in 'bout 1/2 inch and the milk was flowing. Fed baby and got a bottle for the morning if she hasn't latched on. What are the pros/cons of using a needle? Today, nothing but pro for for me but interested in the real story from the gurus. :cboy:
I always used a canula. Plastic, about an inch long. Sterilize the end of the teat and insert. Milk will begin draining immediately.

TexasBred":7jo2cg11 said:
kucala5":7jo2cg11 said:
I always used a canula. Plastic, about an inch long. Sterilize the end of the teat and insert. Milk will begin draining immediately.
I've always known them as a canula also. They are cheap enough to use a new one out of the package every time. The one thing to remember is NEVER leave them in longer than the milk is flowing, if you forget and leave one in for a couple hours you will have a mastitis nightmare. Trust me I got the T-shirt

We use them as well. I think the real reason they were created was for mastitis treatment, but we've also used them to drain milk. Not sure if it's required, but my dad always taught me that we should just drain the milk until it stops running through the needle, and then to finish stripping the milk out by hand.

It is a huge time aid..!!!

Latest posts