Milk: $1.37 a gallon

Help Support CattleToday:

As I understand it, stores have "loss leaders". They sell the essentials at a loss to get people in the store to buy other stuff. In our Walmart, the milk and eggs are in the far corner, so you have to walk through the whole store and hopefully buy other stuff on the way.

So maybe Walmart is losing more than the farmer on milk?

But yeah, milk and eggs are dirt cheap, so I often wonder why I raise my own. We have gatherings and few drink milk anymore. Coffee, juice, soda, beer or whatever. Each generation gets further from farm life.

Turkeybird":5tksuxuy said:
Well said Jo, we live in a country where one can marry another of the same sex,have the gov pay for a sex change if in the military,grow your own pot in California , and it is unlawful to buy a large soda in nyc. But raw milk, home raised beef and pork are regulated! Oh yea and I forgot about praying at public schools

Fact check on aisle 9! I think pot is still technically illegal in CA (fed law still applies). One can still buy a honkin' big soda in NYC (no ban). And in many states, if you sell beef by the quarters (or more), there are very few (or no) hoops to jump through. I agree that adults should be able to consume raw milk if they wish (first make them sign away their right to gov't-paid healthcare or SSI if they get sick). I won't debate the prayer point as it's against forum rules.

I do agree with some of your points, just trying to avoid myths (urban or rural). :tiphat:

Pot is legal in ca, you just have to get a script, not sure if sodas in ny are legal or just taxed to kingdom come, and our lord and savior Jesus Christ has gotten kicked to the curb in public schools, thanks for your input and straighten me out if I am incorrect ( I wish I were). Raw milk is one of the best things the farm has to offer imo.

djinwa":1oeweova said:
As I understand it, stores have "loss leaders". They sell the essentials at a loss to get people in the store to buy other stuff. In our Walmart, the milk and eggs are in the far corner, so you have to walk through the whole store and hopefully buy other stuff on the way.

So maybe Walmart is losing more than the farmer on milk?

But yeah, milk and eggs are dirt cheap, so I often wonder why I raise my own. We have gatherings and few drink milk anymore. Coffee, juice, soda, beer or whatever. Each generation gets further from farm life.
Just good marketing. Amazing how much impulse buying people will do while making that trip back to the milk and eggs....same for putting what you want people to buy right at eye level.

Friends run a raw milk dairy and sell cow for $8 a gallon and goat for $10. Their customer base is largely foreign folk and some make the trip at 60 miles one way. I haven't drank milk since I was 10 so I'm not a consumer.

Walmart DOES sell some milk and eggs under cost, at least here in western Canada, I know that for a fact, have worked for the company.. not in general a company you want to work for....
Used to be illegal in some provinces to sell items under cost, but not in B.C..

Milk out here is about $3.50 a gallon (we only drink whole) at Sams Club. We go through a gallon a week.... just my son!

Our cousins just 2 miles down the road sold out a few months ago. They milked 60 head, but could not make it pencil any longer. They have had the dairy for about 30 years.....
The dairy next to them is going out next month. They milk 40 head.... not big. Right next to us is a dairy that has several hundred, they seem to be doing ok, but I know they work their butts off trying to stay afloat!

Turkeybird":21ltdrei said:
Pot is legal in ca, you just have to get a script, not sure if sodas in ny are legal or just taxed to kingdom come, and our lord and savior Jesus Christ has gotten kicked to the curb in public schools, thanks for your input and straighten me out if I am incorrect ( I wish I were). Raw milk is one of the best things the farm has to offer imo.

Well, it ain't really legal if the feds can swoop in any second and take you away. And the NYC extralarge soda ban went down the tubes: http://www.wnyc.org/media/resources/201 ... Drinks.pdf

Got no problem with raw milk if people don't expect me to pay their medical bills if they buy from a grubby place.
Re school prayer, we see things differently but forum rules prevent that discussion. :tiphat:

I am going to kick a bee hive!
people chain smoke an drink like a fish and our taxes cover their medical costs... or at least here in Canada...
Firesweep-- you drink a gallon a week---eeek, when I had a cow milking and all the kids home, we often went through 1-2 gallons a DAY!

Nite Hawk":2kyq7lx8 said:
people chain smoke an drink like a fish and our taxes cover their medical costs... or at least here in Canada...
Firesweep-- you drink a gallon a week---eeek, when I had a cow milking and all the kids home, we often went through 1-2 gallons a DAY!

I've got 4 kids, and there are 7 of us in the house. We aren't quite 1-2 gallons a day, but are about 4-5 gallons a week.

Nite Hawk":14z782qv said:

My son is the only one who drinks it. Now, I go through about a half gallon of half and half, and half gallon of heavy cream once a week.... cooking and stuff. I like the thicker stuff! lol

My dad used to go through buttermilk like it was water when we were kids. I never liked the stuff. I hardly see buttermilk for sale any more. Now, when eggnog comes out, we go through a gallon a day practically! Everyone loves that stuff!

I'm a heretic--I love skim milk. The other stuff is too rich and not refreshing. Once you get used to skim, you never go back; whole or 2% seems like sludge.
:hide:

boondocks":1dauxgp6 said:
I'm a heretic--I love skim milk. The other stuff is too rich and not refreshing. Once you get used to skim, you never go back; whole or 2% seems like sludge.
you better hide under that chair!
My friend used to drink skim... he DID go back to at least 2% if not whole... Having coffee at his place was awful!.. try and get some whitening of your coffee and watery by the time you do.

Nesikep":ygs0618w said:
boondocks":ygs0618w said:
you better hide under that chair!
My friend used to drink skim... he DID go back to at least 2% if not whole... Having coffee at his place was awful!.. try and get some whitening of your coffee and watery by the time you do.

I solve that by not being a coffee drinker! More sacrilege!!!! :D

guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

The flavor of cows milk varies from cow to cow, seems IMO if you get a high protein cow, their milk is not as sweet as a higher butterfat content cow, and not all that "cream" on a gallon is cream, it is SNF.
Solids non fat. You can always skim some of the solids off.
If you get a real sweet flavored cow's milk, you wont want to go back to the "chalk water" milk from the store...
There is more to milk than just drinking milk- cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt etc..

ddd75":19gwt8nh said:
guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

Is this below the radar? Just curious.

Nite Hawk":21jg7m2s said:
The flavor of cows milk varies from cow to cow, seems IMO if you get a high protein cow, their milk is not as sweet as a higher butterfat content cow, and not all that "cream" on a gallon is cream, it is SNF.
Solids non fat. You can always skim some of the solids off.
If you get a real sweet flavored cow's milk, you wont want to go back to the "chalk water" milk from the store...
There is more to milk than just drinking milk- cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt etc..
Many of these are made from milk that doesn't have the quality to be sold as Grade A Milk. Might be too hot when it gets to the creamery, high bacteria count, high somatic cell count...other reasons.

Latest posts