MikeC

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Have you seen the ultrasound data on THE Midland bull at the Auburn test? I'm curious about how he scanned.

Frankie":l7ye33nv said:
Have you seen the ultrasound data on THE Midland bull at the Auburn test? I'm curious about how he scanned.

Not yet. Should be up soon. I'm curious about mine too.

When Craig scanned him he said the 116 bull had a good sized ribeye, but that is all I know yet.

Does your test index all breeds together?

MikeC":2302ml33 said:
Frankie":2302ml33 said:

When Craig scanned him he said the 116 bull had a good sized ribeye, but that is all I know yet.

No, the different breeds aren't tested together. Each breed group runs their own tests and the bulls are indexed within their breed.

Frankie":1ynltvjf said:
MikeC":1ynltvjf said:
Frankie":1ynltvjf said:

No, the different breeds aren't tested together. Each breed group runs their own tests and the bulls are indexed within their breed.

Our bulls are mixed in the same pens according to age groups.

Was asking Lisa why the different breeds weren't indexed together. She said, "You just can't. They have different input and output potential."

I then asked her to really tell me why.......... No answer.

Any speculation on that?

MikeC":3npyu1cg said:
Frankie":3npyu1cg said:
MikeC":3npyu1cg said:
Frankie":3npyu1cg said:

Our bulls are mixed in the same pens according to age groups.

Was asking Lisa why the different breeds weren't indexed together. She said, "You just can't. They have different input and output potential."

I then asked her to really tell me why.......... No answer.

Any speculation on that?

No speculation. Our test station was built by the breeders. Each test is run by the breed group, under BIF recommended guidelines, but with some differences between breeds. If I had thought about it, I would have assumed that's why they weren't indexed together. If you ever get an answer, I'd be interested in it.

Not to butt in - but, the New York test is also run by breed reps with Cornell Advisors, and use BIF guidelines. We index the British breeds together & the Continental breeds together. But, anymore, there is so little difference between breeds, I would rather put them all together. There have been many Angus that are bigger framed & higher gains than the Continentals. There is more difference within a breed than there is across breeds - especially the new modern cattle of today. I really like where the cattle industry is at now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":cdqsnp6s said:
Not to butt in - but, the New York test is also run by breed reps with Cornell Advisors, and use BIF guidelines. We index the British breeds together & the Continental breeds together. But, anymore, there is so little difference between breeds, I would rather put them all together. There have been many Angus that are bigger framed & higher gains than the Continentals. There is more difference within a breed than there is across breeds - especially the new modern cattle of today. I really like where the cattle industry is at now.

Butt in anytime. :)

At OBI it's not that there's so much difference in breeds, as there are differences in management. Angus use 60 day contemporary groups; some other breeds use 90. We use self-feeders; some other breeds feed daily. I don't know all the differences, but those two would disqualify them from being indexed together.

Oh, yeah, absolutely! Our bulls are all fed together. I didn't realize any bull test would feed differently. That's pretty unicque. Like in our test, Highland cattle would never be able to compete (size & our restrictions on horns) so they have their own bull test at a producers farm. You are fortunate to have that ability. Also, you probably have more than enough numbers in each breed group.
We run 50-100 TOTAL of all breeds. :shock:

Frankie, The Angus folks say there is a holdup on the parentage of one of the angus bulls and will get it out as soon as possible.

By the way, my bull's IMF was 3.92%. About the same as your 4 angus in the OBI test last year. Maybe a little higher. Thought you were raising "Marbling" cattle? :lol:

Oh well, I guess none of either of our bull's calves will qualify CAB. ;-)

Our buyers will have to get by with low choice. :oops:

Latest posts