Microsoft "Internet Explorer"

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Last few weeks our accessing/loading of websites, this messageboard, and other sites has been extremely slow! Been taking forever for sites & pages to load over half of the time we're on computer.

We have Direcway Satellite at 100 mbps and use Internet Explorer as our base to access the web. Even MSNBC pages are taking forever to load.

Computer been checked out and working fine. Have lots of hard drive space and lots of RAM memory. This is just a new problem we've been experiencing.

Weather problems in the USA? Servers busy? Dust/sand on our Satellite dish...lol? Problems with Microsoft operation? Problems with Direcway system? Terrorists? When we call customer service, M-S says it's Direcway Problem. Direcway says it's Microsoft or our computer problem. Give me a break!

Any ideas out there all you computer experts???

Thanks!
Bill

Have you defragged your hard drive? Are your running some spyware detection software(spybot,adaware). How many programs are running in the back ground or at start up? Have you installed a new program right before this happened? The automatic updates will slow you down some, but this shouldn't be every time your on your system.

Try clicking on "tools" in IE,
under the general tab, clear all your cookies and temp internet files. That will sometimes bog you down but then again there are a 1000 reasons for slow internet speeds from day to day.

We run anti-virus, anti-spy, and anti-adv software in background. No new programs installed past year. Don't usually have any other "active" things running except E-Mail.

We tried "restoring" our system to couple of months ago; that didn't help speed any. Also, speed of sites acquisition can be very erratic. "Sometimes" things load right up; however, most of time recently, it seems to take 2-3 minutes for a site to come on screen.

Highly irritating! Considering our "speed" of wireless connections!

tell me how many icons you see beside your clock in the bottom right part of your screen and list them all by name. this is the root of many weird problems.
note: make sure you expand it if possible to see everything. if you cant tell the name of something, double click it.

after you list the icon names, press Ctrl+Alt+Deete, go to the Processes tab. look at the bottom left corner and tell em how many processes it shows and what the CPU Usage is... heck, tell me anything it says on the bottom of the Processes tab. : )

i give a 95% guarantee your problem can be diagnosed here.

try mozilla firefox as your browser it is so much better than explorer.I used to have direcway and 99% of the time it is on they(direcways)end

Aero,

Now you have got my cuirosity up. where you headed with this line of questioning?

Without going into details, I see 12 in lower right corner.
When I go ALT-Ctrl-Delete, processes, I see around 55 processes running.

What do we do now?

Nowland Farms":9kwqbypf said:
Aero,

Now you have got my cuirosity up. where you headed with this line of questioning?

Without going into details, I see 12 in lower right corner.
When I go ALT-Ctrl-Delete, processes, I see around 55 processes running.

What do we do now?

55 processes is way too high. minimally, XP needs around 20 for everyday operation. i currently have 31 and dont like it.

every icon you see down there is doing something and usually taking away from your processing speed and more importantly the routing of info.

my main suspect is all of that spyware, adware, antivirus, etc.

the first thing to do is turn off useless stuff that's easy to get to. this means changing what software loads when the computer boots. to get to this screen:
  • clck Start, then Run and type "msconfig" (without the parentheses).
    click on the tab that says Startup.
    if there is a button that says disable all, click it. if not, just uncheck everything in the Startup tab.
    click all the OK's to get out of it and it will make you restart.
    when it restarts, it will tell you it is using selective startup or something like that, just click OK.

after the restart, try surfing. if that doesnt work, go back into the msconfig and re-enable everything like it was, then do all the restart stuff again and go to the next step below.

try turning all that stuff off in the bottom right corner for a little bit and see if things improve. the easiest way to kill things you dont need is by right-clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner and choose Close or Exit.

after you do this, if surfing isnt better, you can start closing other processes. dont worry, you wont erase or ruin anything. to close all unnecessary processes, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and go to the processes tab. start with anything that shows the user name being your name if it is listed. if it isnt, just start at the top. usually anything that uses more than 1% of the CPU is suspect.

to delete processes, type the name exactly as it appears into google and you will quickly see if it is a windows process or something else. if it looks like a crap process, select it then click the End Process button.

after you delete a process, try surfing a little. if it isnt better keep on. this takes time, but usually there are some sneaky gremlins in there analyzing everything you download and this is definitely the cheapest way and usually the most effective.

if you kill something and the computer locks up or starts shutting down, dont worry about it. just do whatever you have to do to start it up again (including the power button or cord if need be). just close everything you dont want to lose.

sorry this is so long, but if it works, it will be worth it.

Aero click on the tab that says Startup. if there is a button that says [b:reqxyj3w said:
disable all[/b], click it. if not, just uncheck everything in the Startup tab.
I wouldn't do that :shock:

you can also try running disk cleanup along with defrag. disk cleanup is under: start menu -> accessories -> system tools. make sure you have checked:web client files, temp folder, recycle bin, temp internet files, temp off line files, off line files etc... that cleans up a lot of stuff leftover from webpages and being on the 'net.

cowgirl580":27k9icm2 said:
you can also try running disk cleanup along with defrag. disk cleanup is under: start menu -> accessories -> system tools. make sure you have checked:web client files, temp folder, recycle bin, temp internet files, temp off line files, off line files etc... that cleans up a lot of stuff leftover from webpages and being on the 'net.

this is very good advice. i did a cleanup on one of my computers a while back and it was like a new computer.

Latest posts