Meth

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry about your daughter BHB. I just thank God every day that my grandfather never killed anyone while driving drunk.
Did you know the meth project started here in Montana? Some of the people in the anti meth ads are meth addictics who no longer use.

I get to see the results of both drugs and alcohol and it scares the crap out of me. Like I said that meth head I dealt with was scarey.

I know people who are admitted alcoholics and drug users. As they say they are not recovered as some say but admit the problem they have because they battle it every day. I admire them for fighting their addiction, admitting they had a problem and pulling themselves out of their own personal h*ll.

There is one toast coming up this month and I will take a drink, but then will not have another til October.

I have seen the destruction caused by meth, too, it's scary. It's like it takes over a person's heart, brain and soul. Worse than alcoholics or potheads. I know alcoholics who function, hold down a job and take care of their responsibilities, just don't count on them for anything after 6, 7 pm because they are toasted. Every. Single. Day. Meth heads can't even function, they aren't good for anything but stealing and finding more meth.

Perhaps another example of an economy without jobs? Certainly far more drug use and crime since the 80's.

Meth is bigger today than it has ever been. Fewer meth labs locally because they can't get the ephedrine to make it anymore. So the Cartels have far more involvement and are the big suppliers.

Weed? Far better than alcohol and less destructive. Less crime to get it and less violence by users except for being caught by law enforcement and sentenced to jail time. Better for cutting pain with fewer dangers than pharmacology. There's a reason why the U.S. Government owns a patent on Medical Marijuana.

Heroin is coming back in spades because it's now cheaper. The price dropped over the last decade.

Most crimes today are coupled with meth in one way or another. Far more damage to the families than any other drug.

What I don't get about meth is there are so many examples of what it will do to you I just can't see a person doing it. I mean, everyone knows at least one chickenhead so its not like you don't know what its going to do to you.

Know someone who did heroin once and they were scared off of it after the first try because it was so good and she knew if she ever did it again she'd be hooked.

And how many people do you know that either smoke cigarettes and/or cigars or that used to smoke? When you're young, your stupid. But having to go to work makes one grow up. Now we have no jobs and no future. So plenty of time to do stupid things.

gimpyrancher":1h19utmo said:
And how many people do you know that either smoke cigarettes and/or cigars or that used to smoke? When you're young, your stupid. But having to go to work makes one grow up. Now we have no jobs and no future. So plenty of time to do stupid things.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Too much free money to sit on their butts is some peoples problem. They have too much time on their hands because they don't have to work, and need something to entertain them. The first choice was to not work- because our system is very flawed.

Edited to add:

There is also an issue when some people have too much money at their disposal. Beside ghettos where the drug trade is funded by the tax payer, you want to find rampant drug use look for places where young kids are making good money. Kids making good money that aren't making good decisions, narcotics will be a problem fast.

An issue with meth vs some other things is that it destroys parts of the brain responsible for conscious and empathy/compassion for others. That is why they can lie, cheat and steal with no remorse.

Some kids want a thrill, some get tricked, some feel peer pressure, some make a decision they wouldn't otherwise because they are already drunk or high on a softer drug. What they all have in common is a new problem.

People can win against it. It's not easy, but possible.

***Gross Warning***

I saw something I will never forget this year. Watched a guy needing his fix eat his dog's vomit, because the dog ate his stash. It is that reality that kids need to be shown. I can't even explain the mix of emotions I had seeing that.

Hard substance popularity rises and falls not because they are "cool" or not. They become popular, then those surrounding the user see the ultimate outcome and problems up to and including death etc.. and they lose popularity because those around the user become educated on the reality. Some stick around longer than others, but they all cycle.

A new or less familiar substance starts the cycle again.

No explaining some people, and no fixing them either.

People like backhoe pick up the slack and keep the universe in balance.

Red Bull Breeder":1fd9roa7 said:
Meth is a very bad drug, pot is not. Heck this time next year Jed will be waiting on roundup ready seed.

I think pot is the prime example of what's wrong with these people. Pot is so easy to grow one must be one lazy SOB to buy it rather than growing your own.

Commercialfarmer":6ayjpufl said:
gimpyrancher":6ayjpufl said:

You couldn't be further from the truth. Too much free money to sit on their butts is some peoples problem. They have too much time on their hands because they don't have to work, and need something to entertain them. The first choice was to not work- because our system is very flawed.

Edited to add:

There is also an issue when some people have too much money at their disposal. Beside ghettos where the drug trade is funded by the tax payer, you want to find rampant drug use look for places where young kids are making good money. Kids making good money that aren't making good decisions, narcotics will be a problem fast.

Take a look at Portland's Craigslist for general labor jobs. Tons of them.

http://portland.craigslist.org/lab/

Slick I agree with you today people won't even fire hunt.
Don't have to the government is going to give you housing, food stamps and money.

My wifes family would have starved to death after her Dad got killed when she was 5 and the
oldest of four kids. The men of the community took care of making sure they were not going hungry.
Somebody was going to get a deer after dark and bring it to them dressed out. When we butchered hogs or made syrup there was always xtra made for the widows and kids. I have wore out a tow sack toting hams,bacon and syrup when I was a kid.

slick4591":17pf85cb said:
Take a look at Portland's Craigslist for general labor jobs. Tons of them.
http://portland.craigslist.org/lab/

Interesting for sure. Also note that Washington has the highest minimum wage in the country. They also have the most robust economy in the country. Perhaps there's a reason why there are so many jobs listed and so many working at the bottom there.

Caustic Burno":3mvhuqh0 said:
My wifes family would have starved to death after her Dad got killed when she was 5 and the
oldest of four kids. The men of the community took care of making sure they were not going hungry.
Somebody was going to get a deer after dark and bring it to them dressed out. When we butchered hogs or made syrup there was always xtra made for the widows and kids. I have wore out a tow sack toting hams,bacon and syrup when I was a kid.

How much of the same private taking care of the community is still occurring today. Did you ever replace the tow sack you once used so often?

These things occurred in history. History isn't repeating itself like it used to.

gimpyrancher":1to4vjpw said:
How much of the same private taking care of the community is still occurring today.

It is still going on. I can cite a lot of recent examples - three this week that did not involve me personally.

When we were kids, there were no Adopt an Angel trees. Just this year I was very humbled at Christmas time when I read the wants of a very young girl. How many have been missed? How many kids like that have I missed? Her requests were not for toys or trinkets. They kid wanted basic neccessities. A blanket etc.

Lots of older folks are living longer too these days too. The number of us raising grandchildren is surprising.

A big problem is communication. We have all these means to communicate and tools, yet people don't even say "hello" on the street. It seems when I run in to old friends at the store, we are always in a hurry to get somewhere. Our conversations are cut short. People driving cars seem to flip off other drivers more these days than a friendly wave.

When I do for others, I feel good about it. Never looking for recognition or anything like that.

People don't always need money or food. Maybe just a kind word or smile. Maybe a bit of reassurance.

I am rambling again. Sorry

THere is a knack for helping folks without busting their pride. We could all use a bit of improvement on those skills too.

Most robust huh? 29th in unemployment rankings. Bottom half of the country in my estimation.

Unemployment Rates for States
Monthly Rankings
Seasonally Adjusted
Apr. 2014p
Rank State Rate
1 NORTH DAKOTA 2.6
2 VERMONT 3.3
3 NEBRASKA 3.6
4 WYOMING 3.7
5 SOUTH DAKOTA 3.8
5 UTAH 3.8
7 IOWA 4.3