Metestrous Bleeding

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
The story you are about to read pertains to a cow that resides on my farm. Her legal name is Kim Kardashian, her barn name is Blaze. I hope using her real name does not subject me to being accused of violating her privacy. I say that because the picture you are about to see is risqué.

Now the story: On 11 December 2016, she passionately engaged in lesbian behavior with the other residents. The other girls are decent souls so they refused to participate. Blaze pursued them all day. During the night and cloaked in darkness, one or more of the other girls lost their faith and shagged her as Ken from down under calls it. Blaze's chalk was gone at 7:00 pm. I put her in the chute and bred her at 7:45 am on 12 December 2016. I questioned the other girls but none would confess to the lesbian behavior.

This morning at 10 am 13 December 2016, I observed the metestrous bleeding. I usually do not observe the post ovulation bleeding until the second or third day.

My first concern was that I might have injured her cervix. I have stuck her on first service since I bought her as an open PB Simmental. She has had 3 AI calves. I know her cervix well! She was easy to AI and it was over in less that 3 minutes. I was very gentle.

Has anyone else seen ovulation bleeding this soon after a heat? And is the bleeding this soon a good sign, a bad sign or no sign?

16adt2d.jpg

I've never seen that much bleeding from the vagina. The rectum after a long hard AI yes, but never the vagina

dun":oi3dqhvq said:
I've never seen that much bleeding from the vagina. The rectum after a long hard AI yes, but never the vagina

More than I usually see. Have looked at her several times since. What was there has already crusted. I think I caught her just as it discharged. Nothing coming out now. I think it was one of those extremes. I hope so. Nothing felt unusual. Good tone to her cervix. Went just beyond the uterine end of the cervix and dumped. Was in and out in less than 3 minutes.

One thing I should mention. I enlarged the photo by using my edit. It actually looks worse on the photo than it did in real life.

M-5":5ix7wvg5 said:
im thinking you ruptured /tore or poked thru something with the gun

I doubt that. I never force the AI syringe, the cervix was easy to penetrate. I think she had an unusual discharge. But I admit, it is a lot of discharge.

Margonme":2r7542jo said:
M-5":2r7542jo said:

I doubt that. I never force the AI syringe, the cervix was easy to penetrate. I think she had an unusual discharge. But I admit, it is a lot of discharge.

so you are 100% positive ?????? Then why ask if you already know the answer?? or not willing to accept another theory

M-5":3r7k6clj said:
Margonme":3r7k6clj said:
M-5":3r7k6clj said:

so you are 100% positive ?????? Then why ask if you already know the answer?? or not willing to accept another theory

My mistake. I think my question was misstated. My question was regarding conception. If the post ovulation discharge is early, does that mean the odds of conception go down?

Copied from above:

Has anyone else seen ovulation bleeding this soon after a heat?

I THINK YOU ARE OVER WORRYING....
if she settled then she settled.
if not she will be back in heat in about three weeks from date of service.
the biology of every being is a bit different....
it is good to observe and understand....
it is bad to create needless worry.

pdfangus":2z10pxwm said:

Someone else told me that about a hour ago.

Thanks. I needed that.

Margonme":148gcf1y said:
pdfangus":148gcf1y said:

Someone else told me that about a hour ago.

Thanks. I needed that.

That would be ME!
I have seen cows with a small puddle under them from the ovulation bleed, the amount is not abnormal. The timing is a little early, but like PDF said, no need to worry now. Just wait three weeks....
Here is a cow from 3 weeks ago, 72 hours after an active heat, and she had more blood all over her rump. How do I know she was not injured? Because she was not bred! She was set up to get an embryo, but everything that could go wrong did, so she was left open with all the other recips that were set up that day. Guess what? Today is day 20, and she was standing tonight! Now, hopefully we can get an embryo in her next Tuesday....

j94q52.jpg

When we attempt to manipulate things with drugs it can have the effect of intensifying everything.....
the doses on the bottles are researchers best guess at an average dose...
all biological beings are different and have different responses....
weight, metabolism, condition, reproductive status, age, disposition, status in the herd....all are variables effecting results.

dun":m9ogsc87 said:
Sometimes makes me think that some people over manage their cows.
This coming from the guy who reads the newspaper out loud to his cows? :lol2:

Lazy M":1b0b7iws said:
dun":1b0b7iws said:
Sometimes makes me think that some people over manage their cows.
This coming from the guy who reads the newspaper out loud to his cows? :lol2:
They're the only ones that will listen to me. The dog and wife sure don;t

Latest posts