Metal Storage Building

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
I am looking to build a metal pole barn next March so starting to plan now. I am looking for a building around 35x50 to store tractor, truck and other implements and machinery in. I also want to use a corner for a work area. Two suppliers/installers I am looking at are Cleary Buildings and Built-Mor. Cleary is a big company but I believe Built-Mor is more local here to S. IL.

Anyone use either company? If you don't mind, what did you pay for what size building? Would you use them again? And has anyone by chance ever used the Breese IL Cleary installation crew and can comment on their workmanship?

I am also open to considering other companies if you have a recommendation.

I am also looking for other lessons learned. For example what features are not standard you wish you had done (Gutters, Skylights, Overhangs etc...)?

Thanks for your help
Ed

I too am looking at a building on my farm in Western IL.
I am considering a 50 x 64 hoop barn with 16 x 16 pens that are located inside the building.
Remainder to be used for storage. South side open and 10 x 12 doors on each end open E-W for ventilation.

Looked at a 50 x 108 that was just put up and it is surprisingly cool on hot days. It is open only on the East.

Good luck-

What part of Southern Illinois are you in? You may want to try BBL out of Perryville, MO. They are very good to work with, and will have your building up in no time. We had a 60'x80' barn put up 2 years ago and it took them maybe 3 days. They also have done a garage for me, and 2 other barns/shops. My uncle had used them for about 3 of his barns, and our neighbor had them put in a shop for him to restore cars in.
If you want to contact them, our salesman is Roger Wibbenmeyer. Their number is 1-800-455-6675. You can pm me and I can give you my name as a referred by.

I am between Waterloo and RedBud. BBL in Pevely may have possibilities as that is very close as a crow flies, further getting over the Mississippi on I255 though. I am glad to hear they do a good job. I have seen their signs. I will add them to my list to talk to. Another company I found that seems to have a good reputation is Morton out of Chester IL.

btw, I grew up close to De Soto. Address was Ware and went to Grandview School.

Where are you located Rahe? Do you know anyone who has used Morton in Chester? They seem to have a good reputation.

another option is going to Menards if you have one close by, you can buy your package what size you want and they usually have a list of builders to build your building and go from there, you can cut out the middle man that way.Get a bid from all the companies you have mentioned and go from there, go out and look at some of these buildings that some of these companys have built,Morton will be on the high side, for price. Wish I was a little closer to you, I would have been glad to price your building for you, I have been building these buildings for almost 30 years.

Goodlife":36pw7wt4 said:
I am looking to build a metal pole barn next March so starting to plan now. I am looking for a building around 35x50 to store tractor, truck and other implements and machinery in. I also want to use a corner for a work area. Two suppliers/installers I am looking at are Cleary Buildings and Built-Mor. Cleary is a big company but I believe Built-Mor is more local here to S. IL.

Anyone use either company? If you don't mind, what did you pay for what size building? Would you use them again? And has anyone by chance ever used the Breese IL Cleary installation crew and can comment on their workmanship?

I am also open to considering other companies if you have a recommendation.

I am also looking for other lessons learned. For example what features are not standard you wish you had done (Gutters, Skylights, Overhangs etc...)?

Thanks for your help
Ed

I have a metal shop, pole barn for tractor tool's etc and two more equipment shed's. You do not want sky light's.
Door's are a big issue that you really need to think out. Sliding, Swing out style, Overhead Folding Door style.
I messed up on not thinking out door's. Also check out and pay close attention to color's as some paint is guaranteed 10 year's some 20. Here is the only pic I have of the inside of my tractor pole barn.

May23001.jpg

Gators Rule":34vvynqd said:
CB, if you don't mind me asking, what door would you have chosen, and why?

thanks,

David

If I had to do it over I would have spent the money and installed roll up door's.
The swing out one's you can't open the big thing's in a high wind. The sliding one's are a pain in the ass to keep the sand,mud from filling up the bottom track.

Hey GreatGerts, did a little asking and found out that BBL is an employee owned business. As long as they are close on the bidding that will wheigh in their favor in my eyes. I also have heard only good things about them. Thanks for the tip.

Goodlife":2z7maw54 said:
Hey GreatGerts, did a little asking and found out that BBL is an employee owned business. As long as they are close on the bidding that will wheigh in their favor in my eyes. I also have heard only good things about them. Thanks for the tip.

Not a problem. They are wonderful to work with, and can get a building up in no time at all.

Caustic Burno":1u50y9l5 said:
If I had to do it over I would have spent the money and installed roll up door's.
The swing out one's you can't open the big thing's in a high wind. The sliding one's are a pain in the ass to keep the sand,mud from filling up the bottom track.

I agree. I also wouldnt have put our doors in the middle.

Caustic Burno":3pra7ot6 said:
Gators Rule":3pra7ot6 said:
CB, if you don't mind me asking, what door would you have chosen, and why?

thanks,

David

great point...! thanks for sharing the info!

Latest posts