Mess of fish

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
We celebrated our first rain in several months by knocking off and cleaning and eating these boys for lunch. I was thankful for both the fish and the rain both were excellent. :lol:

IMG_0402.jpg

No rain around here,weather folks are sayin 2006 goes down as the driest on record,that's a good looking mess of fish,nothing like catchin em cleanin and frying ,been along time since I had fish cooked like that..............good luck & Merry Christmas.

MillIronQH":1aeuolm4 said:
Raiin started here about 30 minutes ago and there's no place close to go fishing. :help: Z

Yes,it started around here too,been so long, had to look at it twice to believe it,I hope we get a good rain,maybe it'll get wet and I will go fishin like Jogeephus did,I will hafta settle for bass & catfish tho,no trout around here..............good luck & Merry Christmas.
PS That one big ole trout would sure look good in my fryin pan :D

Now would that be a couple walleye on the bottom and some type of crappie or perch above? ( Glad the steel was in there for a size reference :lol: ).

Haven't fished much lately, but it is something I gotta make time to get back at.

Glad you got some rain, and I'll bet you enjoyed those fish! :D

Not very fond of sheepshead. But the colored folks around here eat the heck out of them. Reckon if I wasn't havin any luck and had a serious hankerin for fried fish I'd filet em though. The big one a gator trout?

AngusLimoX":3ldih10j said:
Now would that be a couple walleye on the bottom and some type of crappie or perch above? ( Glad the steel was in there for a size reference :lol: ).

Haven't fished much lately, but it is something I gotta make time to get back at.

Glad you got some rain, and I'll bet you enjoyed those fish! :D

Im thinking the two bottom ones are sand or speckled trout,and the others are sheephead ? I could be wrong tho,been a while since I caught any...........still good lookin fish.............good luck

speckled trout me thinks.

got about 2 inches here. the rye is kicking butt and taking names.

Speckled trout and sheephead. Neighbor came back with a 48 quart ice chest full and let us have those. Never had sheephead before. Soaked them in ice water for a bit and then cooked them. Most everyone liked them. Might say something about my bloodline. :oops:

Jogeephus":2fnsghol said:
Speckled trout and sheephead. Neighbor came back with a 48 quart ice chest full and let us have those. Never had sheephead before. Soaked them in ice water for a bit and then cooked them. Most everyone liked them. Might say something about my bloodline. :oops:

No offense. Just such a choice around here we've gotten spoiled. But a fish fryin of any kind is a good thing. Heck I even love a batch of fried mullet when they are fresh.

Since 1994, mullet has been kinda scarce. We used to eat it all the time but the net law did a number on a lot of people. Still get some fresh ones on occassion but not like we used to. I like mullet sandwiches but like you say, any fish is good if it is prepared right.

Jogeephus":2rco6h0a said:
Since 1994, mullet has been kinda scarce. We used to eat it all the time but the net law did a number on a lot of people. Still get some fresh ones on occassion but not like we used to. I like mullet sandwiches but like you say, any fish is good if it is prepared right.

Did they do away with using Cast Nets?

I like fresh mullet myself. A lot. Used to go down to Moblie Bay and Gulf Shores and swing those nets.

No, you can still do that but the commercial netters got pushed out. They supplied a lot of fish to us in this area. You can still catch em with a hook or a throw net.

Jogeephus":e2ns1wc1 said:
No, you can still do that but the commercial netters got pushed out. They supplied a lot of fish to us in this area. You can still catch em with a hook or a throw net.

Gotcha ;-)

Latest posts