Melatonin Supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I just saw a post where someone made reference to taking a calf off of its "melatonin supplement".
I think I have heard where people use melatonin for hair growth, as well as for temperment.
I'm looking for any thoughts on either use!
How does it work? How much of a dose to give? How often? How far in advance? etc.
Thanks in advance.

We start feeding melatonin about May. That's about the time when temps are hitting (you're going to laugh at these) the upper to mid 80's and they are starting to really blow their coats. We feed 5 'pills' per feeding. (I can't remember how many mg's that is).

Trail Boss - Does that mean you are feeding melatonin for hair growth, or to maintain hair? Do you feed it all through the summer?

the pills from walmart are 3mg.
The shortness of days during the winter spurs an increase of melatonin naturally in the body of the beef. This in turn spurs more hair growth. You want hair growth of course and in May, June and July you need all the help you can get/
You can by products with melatonin in them like grow and shine, nugrow (I think that is the name) and such. But they are really pricey. I think the melatonin at walmart is around $3.00
It may mellow them out. It may have an opposite effect. One of the side effects in humans is nightmares and such. We had a steer who went berserk on it. This last steer was fine.

If you want more hair use something else other than melatonin like Essential Yak. Yak stimulates the animals natural melatonin production. Most melatonin supplements are derrived from bovine sorces if you use it you are breaking the feedbans. Is hair that important? Use rinsing and elbow grease it is not as potentially as harmful but alot more work.

Latest posts