Mega Millions upto $810 million

Help Support CattleToday:

When I first got married my now ex wife would buy lottery tickets. She would tell me she one a dollar, I would ask her how any 10's of dollars did she spend in order to make that one dollar. It was not long after that she quit buying them.

The only time I ever won enough to speak of was when I was walking down the street in Waco and spotted one on the ground. It was a $2.00 ticket that paid $2.00 that I guess the buyer had overlooked. I put it in my pocket, and then under the sun visor in my truck.

A month or so later I finally remembered it one day when I was at the Whitehall store, so I asked the lady to just give me another $2.00 ticket for it. That one paid $40.00. I put that money in my pocket and left.

We just bought a property from person who won the lottery in the 90s. It was very interesting to hear her talk about it. One day when it was just her and I asked her how she felt about leaving the house and the ranch. I thought she might be sad about leaving but she was actually happy about it. She said winning the lottery was the worse thing to ever happen to her. Basically that property was the last thing left and she was glad to be a regular person again. She was sued 7 times in the first year and 5 of them were he own family members. She had all kinds of stories about people treating her bad or different. She actually became some what secluded because she didn't like going out in town.

I have read the stories before but it was different sitting there with her. No cameras, no drama, just talking. She was like my grandmother or any other older lady I have been around all my life.

My grandfather bought tickets every now and then. Once he bought two, the teller at the City Market said she never bought any, so he gave her one. It was a $50 winner, and the one he kept was a $100 winner.

I buy occasionally. I used to buy regularly and I kept track. I came out $54 ahead one year, and $22 ahead another year and $35 loss a third year. Then I just got to where I would only get a couple on occasion, and that is what I do now. I figure I don't drink, don't smoke, don't "run around", my biggest vice is farming, buying books for reading, and buying some african violets for my indoor gardening...so a few tickets are my "splurge and throwaway money".
Yep, I am going to buy a couple for tonight. I haven't had very many of "my numbers" come up on the latest winners... I get a text msg every night from when I did some online buying so I do look at that and see if I "lost " a big one....

A good friend who we buried this spring won $13,750,000 in June of 1991. He was dead broke when he died. Had been for years. One of the things I learned from watching him go through life is that money really doesn't buy happiness.

It got up to $1B several years back when we working at Tilden. There was probably 5 or 6 of us there that night. We all took turns going in to town to buy tickets. We stopped at about the time they were going to announce the numbers. When we all finally got the numbers and no one won we got back out of the trucks and went back to work. 😄

I always say I'm gonna buy a ticket right after there's a big pay out. Sounds like better odds to win a small amount right after it resets. Just a thought. I never do it. Only bought a ticket last time it hit a billion. Dad and I were real broke back then so we bought one ticket each and had a good time watching the tv talk about it and show the numbers that night.

I always say I'm gonna buy a ticket right after there's a big pay out. Sounds like better odds to win a small amount right after it resets. Just a thought. I never do it. Only bought a ticket last time it hit a billion. Dad and I were real broke back then so we bought one ticket each and had a good time watching the tv talk about it and show the numbers that night.
The odds remain the same, the odds of having to share it do go up though. The odds of winning are 1 in 303 million.

There have been times when the system could be beat. The movie "Jerry and Marge go Large" is based on a true story where a couple legally beat a lottery system by knowing the odds of winning and buying enough tickets to cover the odds, as I recall, they made millions and it was all completly legal and above board.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/lotto-winners/

Last edited:
The odds remain the same, the odds of having to share it do go up though. The odds of winning are 1 in 303 million.

There have been times when the system could be beat. The movie "Jerry and Marge go Large" is based on a true story where a couple legally beat a lottery system by knowing the odds of winning and buying enough tickets to cover the odds, as I recall, they made millions and it was all completely legal and above board.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/lotto-winners/
So what you're saying is that if I buy 303 million lottery tickets for $2 each I should win the 800 million? Sounds like a tidy 200 million profit.

So what you're saying is that if I buy 303 million lottery tickets for $2 each I should win the 800 million? Sounds like a tidy 200 million profit.
Yes, assuming you don't get duplicate numbers and each number is unique. But you also run the risk of someone else having the winning numbers and then you can end up in the hole.