Meat Quality

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering what kind of quality the meat would be off of a six month old 500 pound steer that has been on alfalfa and mother's milk. Anyone know if it would be worth the cost of butchering?

I've never had one butchered that small but will tell you the last steer we had done was on nothing but grass (fescue) and less than a pound of sweet feed a day (just to keep him tame and coming up to the fence) and it was some of the best tasting beef I've had. We are going to start finishing all the steers set for our feezer on grass and just a bit of grain.

Keep in mind though how long where your having it processed at will let it hang makes a difference. I'm also a firm believer in having it shot and field dressed out at your farm makes a difference as well by keeping the animals stress down to a minimum.

To try and answer your question a bit since I've likely rambled here a bit the processor charges usually by the pound not per head so price wise it won't really cost you more.

J

EIEIO":2fr7n9ae said:
I'm also a firm believer in having it shot and field dressed out at your farm J

Who does your farm killing? The only ones around here that used to have quit/gone out of business.

dun

Dun, if you would call Forrest Meat Processing in Norwood 746-4111 they will have the guy's name. If for some reason they don't have it (I know they do though) I can find it around here somewhere.

Don't know how far you are from Norwood (it's there between Cabool and Mt. Grove) but for the price of having it done there at your place would offset the cost I bet cause if you take it in they charge disposal cost on the head, feet, and insides you don't eat. I think we paid $80 and had the guy out this time last year. Heck just me taking the time to load one up and haul it in with gas prices what they are and putting some value on my time I felt it was a bargin.

I'm sure I'll think of the guys name here in a minute but he did tell me they have been trying to shut down his industry for some time now. He's a real avid hunter. Came out with a .223 and he even hand loads his own shells to do the deed. My neighbors have had bunches done by him. Said they have yet to see him not drop a steer with only one shot and that is even when they have them in a pasture and telling him which one they want done in. Said he's never even shot the wrong one!

J

FWIW- I think the guys last name is Cambell and he is out of Norwood also, found a phone no. of 746-4287. He has a great set-up out of his truck with a hoist, water hoses, and lots of other neat stuff to get the job done. When he left here last he left 4 feet, tail and butt, and the insides were all nicely in a one piece ball of blubber (best way I can describe it), heck the kids wanted to go out and jump on it as it looked like a big balloon.

EIEIO":5qhsmh4a said:
Forgot to add he won't touch a downer and will also mouth it to make sure it's under 30 mos. of age.

J

I was afraid he was from out of the area. I can get the menonites from Buffalo but the cost and distance would be the same I think. The folks that used to own the local processor sold it a couple of years ago but now they'rebuilding a new facility about 10 miles from us, hope they go back to farm killing. I agree that the meat is far superior in tenderness from the ones we've had wacked on the farm vs: those we've had to haul in.

dun

EIEIO":15n6x57m said:
I'm also a firm believer in having it shot and field dressed out at your farm

Used to be able to do that around here, then haul it to the processer. Not any more. They must be hauled in alive. I wish there were someone around here who could do it like the man EIEIO knows of, but I don't know of any in this part of Va.

Katherine

We've got two - or maybe three - separate folks locally who will come out with their truck, butcher the animals, and haul them back to the shop for processing. We're not the only ones who like animals done that way - those folks are always booked several months in advance, so we really have to plan ahead.

We had two sheep done last week...just point to the pen, and they take care of everything. Won't leave a trace.

EIEIO":r3n5gper said:
I've never had one butchered that small but will tell you the last steer we had done was on nothing but grass (fescue) and less than a pound of sweet feed a day (just to keep him tame and coming up to the fence) and it was some of the best tasting beef I've had. We are going to start finishing all the steers set for our feezer on grass and just a bit of grain.

Keep in mind though how long where your having it processed at will let it hang makes a difference. I'm also a firm believer in having it shot and field dressed out at your farm makes a difference as well by keeping the animals stress down to a minimum.

To try and answer your question a bit since I've likely rambled here a bit the processor charges usually by the pound not per head so price wise it won't really cost you more.

J

Unfortunately we can't find someone to do him on the field so he'll have to go for a trailer ride. :( I've heard that the meat will be closer to deer meat toughness because he is so young. That is why I am wondering if the price of having him done is worth it.
Thanks for your help!

By my own previous experience; you will find the calf is too young to have any "beef" flavor and it will be more like veal. The meat will be easy to influence with spices and it should be tender.
Jeff at Cedarbrook

Sorry Victoria, I really was not much help with your question :oops: . Is there a reason why you can't keep him around till late spring or early summer and he should be good to go by then?

Dun, I was wrong on one thing as I said and that the fellow that begins our processing won't do cattle over 30 mos. of age. He will but they have to be boned there at your place.

J

Thanks for the info Cedar.:)

EIEIO - We have a friend that wants one NOW and this is the only one we have to offer. I told him that it wouldn't be great quality and not much meat but he doesn't want to wait. Just wanted to check on here because I really don't want him wasting his money.

Latest posts