mean vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":37a2aoal said:
Hillary_Indiana":37a2aoal said:
I do want to make some things clear in defense of myself:

1. I did not call the vet EXPECTING to get his help. I called him to ask him if he knew of anyone in the area who does that sort of thing and he offered.

2. I didn't buy this horse at the salebarn, I found it through an ad in the paper. Personally, I don't think it went to slaughter...our salebarn isn't notorious for slaughter horses. My bet is that she is with someone now who knows what to do with her, but if she has been slaughtered then so be it.

3. I didn't "overreact"...a lot of you guys (msscamp) got more upset than I did. I just wanted to get a few opinions and ended up getting bullied.

You are probably right. There are a lot of people who make their living "fixing" young horses and once they are bomb proof selling them to people for quite a markup (for most folks they are worth every penny). The horse is probably there now getting properly schooled. I also think that you were "bullied" in this string for no good reason.
Hey Brandonm2 be careful about using the term bombproof. I was told on this board there is no such thing, although I would have to disagree. (again)
As for you Hillary_Indiana don't let it bother you. I have kind of been following this topic and don't feel like you did a whole lot wrong, I probably would have done things a little different but thats just me. Just remember these are just everyones opinions and are not always fact like most would like you to believe.

msscamp":2g0jzvu9 said:
Hillary_Indiana":2g0jzvu9 said:
Well then luckily you're not an authority, because I have a bunch of 'em! Have a nice day! :cboy:

Hmmmm, I wonder how many of them are going to end up at the salebarn because they become a 'problem' to you? You do seem to have a high number of problems with your horses - there are two listed right here on page one. I wonder what I would discover if I did a search?

msscamp i am not taking your side and hillary i am not taking your side BUT:

When someone has a "problem" with a horse or any animal for that matter the owner/trainer needs to take a step back and observe the problem. You may be "teaching" the animal wrong and that could be the "problem" is that you are teaching the animal wrong. I train horses and from what I have noticed most all horses want to learn and make friends with their owner/trainer even though that is impossible to believe on ground zero of the training process :D :D :cboy: But it is important that you teach the horse right or you will create your OWN problems and EVERYTHING will go downhill from that point on. If you do not know how to teach the horse then you need to find someone that does or get rid of the animal before you ruin its life. I know you are learning but you need a professional by your side at all times until you begin to understand the basics. Even when you feed your animal you are training the animal. It may not seem like that but you are :D

Hope this helps.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3isj0a43 said:
Even when you feed your animal you are training the animal. It may not seem like that but you are

Great point! couldn't agree you more. I've seen plenty of horses striking and throwing a fit when their owner goes in a stall to feed. It's because the owners let the horse get away with it and the horse thinks it's okay. They didn't train the horse not to do it, they trained the horse that it was okay to make things a bit more dangerous for all feeding that animal.

Alan

About the only thing I would have done different is skipped that college class to help load the animal. Seriously, unless it is an iron-fisted professor, who keeps a tally of attendance and is very hard, one day won't make much difference. Many professor's don't care if you show up, and most of the others that do keep attendance have several freeby days you can miss before they start counting off.

I am not saying it is any more right or wrong, it is just what I'd do. If I bought something and then decided to sell it, from beginning to end, it would be my resposibility to see to everything. If the vet said, "go on, it will be fine." I might have left... Otherwise, I'd want to see the animal loaded myself, if anything to ease my mind.

My dad wouldn't buy me anything. Heck, if I were on fire he'd probably make me pay for the water he threw over me.... upfront. J/K

Here is hoping the next horse is more agreeable. :)

- a 21 y.o. college student

Wilson_Cattle_Company":125egsjn said:
msscamp":125egsjn said:
Hillary_Indiana":125egsjn said:
Well then luckily you're not an authority, because I have a bunch of 'em! Have a nice day! :cboy:

Hmmmm, I wonder how many of them are going to end up at the salebarn because they become a 'problem' to you? You do seem to have a high number of problems with your horses - there are two listed right here on page one. I wonder what I would discover if I did a search?

msscamp i am not taking your side and hillary i am not taking your side BUT:

When someone has a "problem" with a horse or any animal for that matter the owner/trainer needs to take a step and observe the problem. You may be "teaching" the animal wrong and that could be the "problem" is that you are teaching the animal wrong. I train horses and from what I have noticed most all horses want to learn and make friends with their owner/trainer even though that is impossible to believe on ground zero of the training process :D :D :cboy: But it is important that you teach the horse right or you will create your OWN problems and EVERYTHING will go downhill from that point on. If you do not know how to teach the horse then you need to find someone that does or get rid of the animal before you ruin its life. I know you are learning but you need a professional by your side at all times until you begin to understand the basics. Even when you feed your animal you are training the animal. It may not seem like that but you are :D

Hope this helps.

Excellent points, all of them! I couldn't agree more.

I got it! This could involve many other interests, horses or otherwise.

It is just another of the countless examples of someone being unrealistic of and with (their) time to here become involved with horses, but whose priorities when finally disclosed, are actually elsewhere. Unfortunately, most became so needlessly carried away, to go far afield in the peripheral issues without seeing this obvious fact.

It is good that it took you only several weeks - see, you are already learning - to realize you bit off more than you could afford to chew, though others chewed and spit (at each other) figuratively, longer.

Best wishes with your education.

V_Key":on8w8lle said:
Hillary_Indiana":on8w8lle said:
Update on horse that wouldn't load:

I had to go to school, so I called the vet to come help her...thinking maybe he'd just give this horse a tranquilizer

The Vet was wrong - - You might want to talk to him and voice your concerns - keeping in mind that - everyone has a bad day - - Tell him - Thats #1 - 2 and your OUT

You did the best you could Hillary - - My Grades come first also - - My dad and I have been reading this site for years - - I'd advise you to pay 'the Do Gooders' no mind - - Remembering - -They seem to the Less Knowgeable People posting here and are the first to misread post and jump on people trying to learn - -

They are the same people that make some of the most (Unethical) (Know It all) (Misinformed) Post I've read[/b]

I would put nothing over the safety of any of my animals. In my mind MY grades can WAIT if it were me! Sounds a little selfish to me.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3b2zxqef said:
V_Key":3b2zxqef said:
Hillary_Indiana":3b2zxqef said:

I had to go to school, so I called the vet to come help her...thinking maybe he'd just give this horse a tranquilizer

The Vet was wrong - - You might want to talk to him and voice your concerns - keeping in mind that - everyone has a bad day - - Tell him - Thats #1 - 2 and your OUT

You did the best you could Hillary - - My Grades come first also - - My dad and I have been reading this site for years - - I'd advise you to pay 'the Do Gooders' no mind - - Remembering - -They seem to the Less Knowgeable People posting here and are the first to misread post and jump on people trying to learn - -

They are the same people that make some of the most (Unethical) (Know It all) (Misinformed) Post I've read[/b]

I would put nothing over the safety of any of my animals. In my mind MY grades can WAIT if it were me! Sounds a little selfish to me.

Having kids myself, i feel that Hilary made the right choice the Vet and her Mother should have had no problems, getting one horse into the trailer. i also would have told my kid to get to school.
I do not find any fault with how Hillary handled this. The vet sold himself as a pro, and was hired to move one horse. i would find another Vet ASAP.

As a holder of 3 college degrees... I can safely vouch for the notion that 99% of the college professors could care less whether you come to class or not!

The other 1% are the Freshman undergraduate professors that check roll EVERY class and deduct points for each absence. Most professors allow an average of 3 unexcused cuts before they deduct points (the ones that actually do this).

I was also a periodic college professor for several semesters. Didn't worry if student came or not...there were always TESTS and/or "pop quizzes" (unannounced in advance) that helped to encourage attendance.

Finally, one's care and management of their children and animals is #1 priority. Should never be compromised for a "perfect college class attendance."

Enough said...

whatabull":3sov73zn said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":3sov73zn said:
V_Key":3sov73zn said:
Hillary_Indiana":3sov73zn said:

Having kids myself, i feel that Hilary made the right choice the Vet and her Mother should have had no problems, getting one horse into the trailer. i also would have told my kid to get to school.
I do not find any fault with how Hillary handled this. The vet sold himself as a pro, and was hired to move one horse. i would find another Vet ASAP.

I agree Hilary made the right choice on going on to school while her mom and the vet loaded the horse. If the horse was being loaded to go have surgery or something of that nature, meaning that the horse was coming back and Hilary was keeping it then she should have skipped class to go help.

I guess by saying that she should have stayed to make sure the horse was loaded safely, ya'll are also saying that she should have stood by the horse the entire time at the sale barn and maybe even went with it to the new owners house for a day or so to make sure that it got the appropriate treatment. Come on she was selling the horse.

I assume that all of you that are critical of her watch every move made when ya'll sell your cattle? OOPS, the possiblity exists when you sell cattle that they might be slaughtered.

I have worked at the local barns and let me be the first to say there is always someone there that believes they must hit every cow that walks past them or they didn't do their job. I am certain that each of you that are so concerned with the "safety of any of my animals" watches over them. Right?

I think we should all stop beating a dead horse here. :oops: Forgive me for that last phrase.
:oops: [/b]

J,

You beat me to the dead horse pun! can't believe this post is still going. (in circles)

But I'll have to throw my two cents in, It doesn't matter to me if she skipped class or not, it should only matter to the student or who ever is paying for her education. I agree with Bill, the profs sure don't care if you make it or not.

Hillary, this post has long since became another post and is no longer a view on what happened with you and your horse, so you shouldn't take anything personal, it's now opinions.

With that said my only problem with the original post was a person was hired to load a horse that the owners couldn't load. Then there was complaining about how the horse was loaded when the owners didn't care enough about the horse to take the time to train it to load, or even where it ended up. Again Hillary this post has long since been not about you, I think it is now more hypothectical then personal. Please don't take offense.

Alan

Alan":33nyxy7z said:
J,

You beat me to the dead horse pun! can't believe this post is still going. (in circles)

But I'll have to throw my two cents in, It doesn't matter to me if she skipped class or not, it should only matter to the student or who ever is paying for her education. I agree with Bill, the profs sure don't care if you make it or not.

Hillary, this post has long since became another post and is no longer a view on what happened with you and your horse, so you shouldn't take anything personal, it's now opinions.

With that said my only problem with the original post was a person was hired to load a horse that the owners couldn't load. Then there was complaining about how the horse was loaded when the owners didn't care enough about the horse to take the time to train it to load, or even where it ended up. Again Hillary this post has long since been not about you, I think it is now more hypothectical then personal. Please don't take offense.

Alan

I have to say I agree with Alan totally. Nothing personal.

As far as the profs go when I went to college we had classes that were 4 hours long, they would tell you to work for an hour then take a 5-10 minute break then back for an hour and so on. My friends and I were backwards on the schedule, we took 1 hour breaks and 5-10 miuntes worth of work. The professors gave us grief over it, but they new our work would be done and to them on time so they let it go.

:stop:

Wow the tread that just will not go away.

I just came in to see what in the world you all could STILL be talking about. Hell, people this has been going on so long she has already passed the darn class and is on to other stuff.

MD

Latest posts