mean vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
Update on horse that wouldn't load:

My mom and I tried unsuccesfully to load this horse for 1 1/2 hrs. I had to go to school, so I called the vet to come help her...thinking maybe he'd just give this horse a tranquilizer because we were just taking her to the auction to get rid of her. Well, he came and basically beat up our horse...my mom said he was punching her in the face. It really got my mom worked up and I was sorry she had to see that. Any comments? Is that normal? I know that my horse wasn't being mean, she was just scared of the trailer.

No that was not normal! Vet should have been punched...

If a horse has never been loaded or only loaded rarely, can expect a lot of time for some horses to "trust" the trailer. Other horses seem to have no fear and will just walk right in after a few minutes. It goes against their basic instinct as a prey animal: going into a dark strange place with no visible means of escape from a predator...

You can't rush or force loading for most horses. If you do, horse or people can get injured. Unless a horse is used to loading, loads frequently, then do not expect the horse to load in a couple of minutes.

And...think you mentioned you were going to "get rid of" the horse? Does this mean you were taking it to an auction/slaughter?

Finally, you said "your" horse. Was getting to school more important that ensuring that "your" horse got loaded safely and calmly? Sometimes our priorities get misplaced...

Hillary,

No the Vet should not have hit the horse in the face unless the horse was trying to run over him.

But remember, the Vet needs to make money and has other clients to see with sick animals, he probably couldn't stay and spend hours to load your horse. Loading horses isn't what Vets went to school for, he must be a nice Vet just to say yes, or charged you guys accordingly.

The Vet could not have given your horse enough of a tranq. to have the horse haul safely, in my opinion.

Kind of a double thing going on here, your upset the Vet beat on your horse, but you sent to the horse to the sale not knowing where he'll end up or what he'll end up as. A few extra days and a trainer could have got your horse in trailer without too much trouble.

I don't think it's fair to take it out on the Vet... he was doing you a favor.

JMO
Alan

Hillary_Indiana":23a4s7y5 said:

My mom and I tried unsuccesfully to load this horse for 1 1/2 hrs. I had to go to school, so I called the vet to come help her...thinking maybe he'd just give this horse a tranquilizer because we were just taking her to the auction to get rid of her. Well, he came and basically beat up our horse...my mom said he was punching her in the face. It really got my mom worked up and I was sorry she had to see that. Any comments? Is that normal? I know that my horse wasn't being mean, she was just scared of the trailer.

Why are you so concerned now? You obviously weren't when you "had to go to school" and chose to leave this animal to be loaded by a stranger knowing she was scared of a trailer. I am also curious about when this animal went from a horse you were "taking to the auction to get rid of" to becoming "my horse". You need to get a clue! A little understanding, empathy, compassion, work and patience would have gone a long way to solving the loading problem. While I'm not excusing the vet's actions, the fact remains that it was YOUR problem, not the vets. If a vet did that to one of my horses, he would not only draw back a broken arm, he would never set foot on my place again and I would do everything in my power to make sure he didn't set foot on anyone else's either.

There sure are some hateful people on here.

1. YES this was MY horse.

2. It's an animal. Just like MY cows or MY pigs. I had it for a couple of weeks.

3. It went to the local stockyard. Right now it could be someone's pet or it could be dogfood...it's not mine anymore so I have no idea.

4. I'm not going to have my college grades suffer because of an animal.

5. I wasn't particularly upset with the vet. I was grateful he came out on such short notice for such a good price. He did his job.

msscamp, I've seen your rude comments on other's pages. I'd appreciate it if you didn't comment on my posts anymore.

Hillary_Indiana":lar0i7jg said:

2. It's an animal. Just like MY cows or MY pigs. I had it for a couple of weeks.

3. It went to the local stockyard. Right now it could be someone's pet or it could be dogfood...it's not mine anymore so I have no idea.

5. I wasn't particularly upset with the vet. I was grateful he came out on such short notice for such a good price. He did his job.

msscamp, I've seen your rude comments on other's pages. I'd appreciate it if you didn't comment on my posts anymore.

Based on what I've seen in this post, people like you don't deserve to own animals.

Well then luckily you're not an authority, because I have a bunch of 'em! Have a nice day! :cboy:

Seems like most of yall seen more in her post than i did. how did yall arive at all those conclusions. all i seen was a vet that picked the wrong profession and someone who trusted him ;-)

msscamp":1w7hy7nc said:
Hillary_Indiana":1w7hy7nc said:

Based on what I've seen in this post, people like you don't deserve to own animals.

Oh my goodness. Here i go. First grades are more important than, I am sad to say, a souless animal.(thats in the bible about the souls thing) Second little girl you chose to take on the responcebilities of it so buck up, they do deserve some respect. The only thing I see here is we put horses above cattle(previous posts about inhumane treatment at salebarns) and horses above the future of the people who are going to be the leader of the country. God help us. I love horses and more I love my cows. They make me money and provide a family way to be together. Sounds to me the horse needed a better trainer early in life.

Scotty

Hillary_Indiana":2ajbler4 said:
Well then luckily you're not an authority, because I have a bunch of 'em! Have a nice day! :cboy:

Hmmmm, I wonder how many of them are going to end up at the salebarn because they become a 'problem' to you? You do seem to have a high number of problems with your horses - there are two listed right here on page one. I wonder what I would discover if I did a search?

msscamp-- Honestly...if it makes you feel better to sit at home and pick on a teenager that lives miles away...have at it. I'm through.

Hillary,

Sometimes you need to have a tuff skin on these boards, but it is a great board. I've had more than on run in with some posters. Don't be too hard on some posters, some really know their stuff.

What you do with your horses is truley your business, but I'm curious to one thing. If I read the post right you only had this horse for a couple of weeks, why did you get rid of it?

Hang in there lots to learn and lots to offer.

Alan

alan: " I don't think it's fair to take it out on the Vet... he was doing you a favor."

I agree with Alan...yes it was wrong to hit the horse though. And young Hillary dont pay any attention to mscamp...I see him all the time telling other peopel how to take care of there own stock..its either his way or your doing it the wrong way. Sometimes we al have other things to do..your schooling is very importatn and if you tried for an hour and a halg that was enough time. I admire you for focusing on your education...maybe if you work hard enough at it you can be as smart as ms camp some day

Good luck with your schooling AND your horses...I wished when I was yourage I had paid more attention to school and less to horses

I bought the horse a couple of weeks earlier because it was cheap and I thought I could try to train it. My dad decided he didn't want me to get hurt and told me if I didn't mess with this new horse he'd by me one that was all ready broke. So that's why I "got rid of it".

Hillary_Indiana":3ghuvvnp said:

I had to go to school, so I called the vet to come help her...thinking maybe he'd just give this horse a tranquilizer

The Vet was wrong - - You might want to talk to him and voice your concerns - keeping in mind that - everyone has a bad day - - Tell him - Thats #1 - 2 and your OUT

You did the best you could Hillary - - My Grades come first also - - My dad and I have been reading this site for years - - I'd advise you to pay 'the Do Gooders' no mind - - Remembering - -They seem to the Less Knowgeable People posting here and are the first to misread post and jump on people trying to learn - -

They are the same people that make some of the most (Unethical) (Know It all) (Misinformed) Post I've read[/b]

Running Arrow Bill":3v5oegv1 said:
And...think you mentioned you were going to "get rid of" the horse? Does this mean you were taking it to an auction/slaughter?

What defferance does that Question Make - Auctions Have Their Place - - it might have been a Cutting Horse Auction - - Why did you see fit to "insert the Question Slaughter"

Running Arrow Bill":3v5oegv1 said:
Finally, you said "your" horse. Was getting to school more important that ensuring that "your" horse got loaded safely and calmly? Sometimes our priorities get misplaced...

Is it your advice that she should CUT SCHOOL?
I will agree with you on one thing -
"Sometimes our/YOUR priorities get misplaced..."

I hate self Righteous Post Like This
msscamp":399tyjf5 said:
Why are you so concerned now? You obviously weren't when you "had to go to school" and chose to leave this animal to be loaded by a stranger knowing she was scared of a trailer. I am also curious about when this animal went from a horse you were "taking to the auction to get rid of" to becoming "my horse". You need to get a clue! A little understanding, empathy, compassion, work and patience would have gone a long way to solving the loading problem. While I'm not excusing the vet's actions, the fact remains that it was YOUR problem, not the vets. If a vet did that to one of my horses, he would not only draw back a broken arm.

Why are you so concerned now?
She is trying to learn

You obviously weren't when you "had to go to school"
It's called understanding ones priorities...

and chose to leave this animal to be loaded by a stranger
She left the Job to Adults - - Her MOTHER and a "PROFESSIONAL" - (can't you read - understand English or Think?)

"my horse"
are your that stupid - "my horse" shows ownership - - what should she do? Take someone else's horse to the Auction?

A little understanding, empathy, compassion, work and patience would have gone a long way to solving the loading problem.
Typical (P.E.T.A.)(Vegan) thinking - - give all this to the animal but NOT The HUMAN ANIMAL!

If a vet did that to one of my horses, he would not only draw back a broken arm,
Tuff talk from an SOS that Picks On Little Girls - you Spinless Cesspool of Stupidity and Ignorance

V-key,

Your'e not playing very nice. I think that most of the posters on this thread feel that Hillary did not give the horse much of a chance. She only had the horse for two weeks and spent no effort in getting it even trained to load. She posted a message on a different thread asking how to load. She had to load it in a day or two. I feel and believe others think she should have spent a little time to give the horse a chance. If the horse was so dangerous she only kept it for two weeks she should not have got it in the first place.

Why should she care if the Vet hit the horse? She didn't care how the horse ended up or where it went.

I'm no P.E.T.A vegan, I'll be the first to admit if a horse I'm handling is on top of me or trying to run through or over me I'm going to pop it right in the chin. When training young horses if I get bit it gets a slap in the mouth (after they are weaned) not hard just to show them their action with their mouth resulted in a negitive reaction to their mouth (it was the mouth that did wrong the mouth got the negitive reaction). I'm not saying beat on them I'm saying train with positive and negitive reaction to action. No, I do not have any head shy horses and I don't have any horses that bite, including a yearling stallion.

So, If I'm a Vet that got suckered into helping a lady and her daughter load a horse into a trailer and my saftey and lively hood is at risk, because someone has not taking the time to train a horse, I wouldn't think twice about hitting the horse in the head to keep it off of me.

I'm curious to why some people think a Vet can load a horse better than any other novice horse person. The vet is a proffesional, but not a professional horse loader.

My advice to you V-key is you can post your opinion without the mud slinging or name calling.

JMO
Alan

Alan,
It must be pretty darn cold today...

Very well stated post. I agree 100%.

now I'm getting scared
Maybe you do have some common sense in that hard head of yours. :shock:

Latest posts