Me and My Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
So I generally only keep weaners on my actual homestead. Right this moment I have four of them. Yesterday morning I am awakened early by a phone call telling me that two of my cows are loose. I jump out of bed, pull on sweats and a tee shirt and run out into the coldest wettest rain I have felt in a long time. I jump on the 4 wheeler with a bucket of sweet feed, knowing that I should go back in and get on some decent clothes, and off I go. As I go down my driveway, it only takes moments until I am soaked and miserable but I soldier on. I drive the 4 wheeler around on the road to the place where the cows were seen. They are standing right there as if waiting on me. Still raining. I cajole, threaten, beg, clap, shout and do everything I can think of to get them headed back to where they came from. No luck. Raining harder now, can't see 10 feet in front of myself. I get back on the 4 wheeler and head back home, thinking that I will get on some proper clothes and go out and try again. My wife, in the meantime has called one of my buddies who works with the cows. I get all geared up, get back on the machine and proceed back to the spot where the cows are. Just as I get there, my buddy shows up, and ask me how many cows are out. I look over at the two standing in the woods and start to say 2 when I notice that they are different ear tags than were on the other 2 I had worked earlier. Sorry for the length, but the buddy who does have a clue about cows, tells me to just stay where I am so that they don't get on the road. I am pretty sure this was the same thing as telling an anxious husband to boil water when a baby is being born. He very slowly walks over behind the 2 cows and they gradually start moving toward my place. I sit on the road like a lone sentinel and tell the numerous neighbors that come by what part I am playing in this process. Most of them ask me if my buddy is helping and when I tell them yes, they smile and go on about their way. 30 minutes later, it is not raining, the cows are back in the pasture and the fence has been temporarily repaired. I am in the middle of the road and my buddy comes walking up the road and says all fixed. I am such a dope....

LOL it happens just glad no other issues came from them being out. Cows on roads is never good get that fence fixed asap.
Glad it turned out well buddy :D

Be thankful that you have a buddy that will get out in the rain and help. Glad you got them up. I hate it when I get a call that one is out. But it happens. I have been blessed to have good help come along too.

Well, fenced is fixed rightl now. I am going to replace it all but for the moment it is fixed. I heard Tractor Supply has t posts on sale. I am going to check tomorrow.

You are correct Ken. I went to Tractor Supply today and bought 50 t posts and 3 rolls of wire. The area is heavily wooded so the trees will serve as braces. Get started on it tomorrow.

Latest posts