MCC Daybreak Daughters- #14777016

Help Support CattleToday:

MLFuller

Reaction score
Know Daybreak is an old bull. But wanted to see what everybody thought of his daughters in production? Also, what you need to keep in mind when you use him to breed? Understand docility and a larger frame should be kept in mind. Wondered if there is anything else to watch for?

Our plan is to reverse spin the semen and flush to a thick, soggy donor for heifers. One of our best cows is out of him and really like what she has done and what she brings to the table.

Daybreak has a reputation for siring cattle with poor feet. I don't recall if the outside toes curl up or grow under, but it is an issue with the bull. A producer I know purchased a Daybreak son from Gardiner's in Kansas a few years ago. Several months later he noticed the foot issue. When he called Mark Gardiner and mentioned that the last bull he purchased had a foot issue, Mark asked "is he a Daybreak son?". Mark went on to say that they have seen feet issues with several of the Daybreak progeny.

To Mark's credit, he made things right with the guy I know.

Feet problems in the Angus breed are a real issue. It is surprising to me how often prominent Angus breeders will continue to use bulls known for siring poor feet, just because they have sexy numbers or the progeny are in demand.

UG said:
Daybreak has a reputation for siring cattle with poor feet. I don't recall if the outside toes curl up or grow under, but it is an issue with the bull. A producer I know purchased a Daybreak son from Gardiner's in Kansas a few years ago. Several months later he noticed the foot issue. When he called Mark Gardiner and mentioned that the last bull he purchased had a foot issue, Mark asked "is he a Daybreak son?". Mark went on to say that they have seen feet issues with several of the Daybreak progeny.

To Mark's credit, he made things right with the guy I know.

Feet problems in the Angus breed are a real issue. It is surprising to me how often prominent Angus breeders will continue to use bulls known for siring poor feet, just because they have sexy numbers or the progeny are in demand.

Thank you. That is very helpful when choosing which donors to use him on.

Latest posts