Maybe the dumbest question in a while

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
How do you work heavy-bred cows (vaccinations mainly) when they are too big for the chute? Almost had one get stuck on her way out today, sold a bigger cow last spring because she didn't fit in a chute at all. Just alleyway management?

Only one I've had wouldn't fit down my preifert was one of my bulls, had to be pushing 2,000 lbs. Fortunately he was tame enough I vaccinated him by just squeezing him with the crowding tub gate for several years.
That might work for the big mommas, or there's a method with two parallel gates or panels about 30 inch apart that you swing in on them

Only one I've had wouldn't fit down my preifert was one of my bulls, had to be pushing 2,000 lbs. Fortunately he was tame enough I vaccinated him by just squeezing him with the crowding tub gate for several years.
That might work for the big mommas, or there's a method with two parallel gates or panels about 30 inch apart that you swing in on them
This is a Priefert chute-old-style. We'll be setting up a panel option next year

Let us be the judge of that question.
No it is not the dumbest question ever asked. If they are wooden yards, have the chainsaw handy, if steel keep a big angle grinder handy. Seriously though unless it is something urgent I would postpone running them through. Some years ago I had a pretty anxious time with a cow I had just bought and after I got her through them with the help of a prodder I cut the overhead bars of the race and with the tractor bent the pipe posts out a bit to form a V and then welded in the new size overhead piece and it has helped a lot with the big ones, my crush (chute) is still the same size but I find if I can get them to there I can get them through and I have side gates to open if need be.
I also have some parallel gates now for pulling calves in heifers that I can use to restrain if it is urgent.

Ken

I do not work 3rd trimester cows. I just know I'll hurt the calf somehow. Unless I have to.

So you have to?
Just a practice I did with other livestock-vaccinate last 8 weeks prior to delivery for better colostrum immunity. Probably not something I'll do again. Did it earlier last year, everyone lived. Tried it this year, had a near-disaster. Vote is in for next year.

Last edited:
Let us be the judge of that question.
No it is not the dumbest question ever asked. If they are wooden yards, have the chainsaw handy, if steel keep a big angle grinder handy. Seriously though unless it is something urgent I would postpone running them through. Some years ago I had a pretty anxious time with a cow I had just bought and after I got her through them with the help of a prodder I cut the overhead bars of the race and with the tractor bent the pipe posts out a bit to form a V and then welded in the new size overhead piece and it has helped a lot with the big ones, my crush (chute) is still the same size but I find if I can get them to there I can get them through and I have side gates to open if need be.
I also have some parallel gates now for pulling calves in heifers that I can use to restrain if it is urgent.

Ken
I was looking at the side gate-but she got to a half-in half out point when it got snug. Head gate is a full-opener. Almost thought about putting something in the bottom for traction-her back feet slipped a bit getting out.

One reason I can think you'd be working at that time is for scours, like scour-boss. That was 10 wks and again 2 wks prior to calving I think? Looked into it, never tried it

My old Steamroller was 2300 lbs. at 8 months bred. Worked her in the alley then backed her into the trap to get her out. If you have freestanding panels, rig them together & use a halter.

Other options: in the first pic, I've pushed the gate in on the trap and secured it to the other gate with a rope, essentially penning the cow in a triangle. In the 2nd pic, similar to the first by trapping them in a triangle by squeezing & chaining the panels. This is where a halter comes in handy, but for only 2 shots (and depending how docile she is), maybe not necessary.
1640008050342.jpeg
1640008156649.jpeg

I had the herd on good stockpile till last week. Ran everyone thru yesterday for Triangle 10 and a lice pour on, while sorting off steer calves. Most cows are fat. One got stuck but clawed her way out, and then was placed on the cull list.

My numbers to not support retaining big older cows. Adding up increased consumption of drought priced feed and high depreciation is ugly. Contrast that with an appreciating heifer... It is a U$S 150/acre gross margin swing here.

I had the herd on good stockpile till last week. Ran everyone thru yesterday for Triangle 10 and a lice pour on, while sorting off steer calves. Most cows are fat. One got stuck but clawed her way out, and then was placed on the cull list.

My numbers to not support retaining big older cows. Adding up increased consumption of drought priced feed and high depreciation is ugly. Contrast that with an appreciating heifer... It is a U$S 150/acre gross margin swing here.
This is a good 5 year old-due with her 3rd calf (all AI) in February. Docile, easy keeper. Her daughter is due with 1st calf at 2 years old-first AI attempt bred. We'll see what pans out.

No dumb questions, only stupid answers (maybe some of them from me!). Here's an interesting video from Cody Creelman... I'm building my facilities to primarily work them in the lane like this, and only chuting those that I have to. Grew up with dairy in a herringbone milking parlor running 100 head through 2x/day, see no reason to have to put every animal through the chute just to vaccinate. Unless they're requiring something pretty extensive, you should be able to make this work, if you've planned your lane properly. Notice that the Bud Box isn't really "ideal" in this one, but it still works pretty efficiently... Hard to argue with 170 head preg tested in 55 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts