Maybe stupid question? - cloudy eye

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hey guys, another rank beginner question here.

While 'playing' with my dairy calf today, I noticed when the sun shone in her eye (while she was cranking her head around trying to get away :roll: ) it looked right cloudy. When I looked at it from the side when there was no light in it, it looked normal. Since I was on the right, she was not cranking her head so the left eye was up, ha ha ha, so I didn't get a looks at the left eye in the sun... don't know if their eyes always do this or not... If it is something I should be concerned about I will mention it to the RAC staff... if not, then I will pretend I never saw it ;)

TCFC

I'd take another look when the sun isn't shinning in her eye(s).
In fact, I'd look at all the other cows and see what's there....gives you something to compare with
DMc

This is normal (i think) in some calves. it gives the eye a blue or gray shimmer. Seems to me to be somewhat heritable, but cant really say. i dont worry about it unless its extreme right after birth and the calf is small or early, in which case i assume vitamin deficiency or not fully developed.you can sometimes correct this with a vitamin shot. but if the calf appears healthy and normal i just dont worry about it. i call them blue eyes, dad calls them cat eyes.

Latest posts