Matt Lauer Has Been...

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not saying that these things don't happen, I know for a fact that they do. However, what I would like to know is, why have so many of these people waited 10, 20, 30 years to say something? The Matt Lauer thing, I don't know when that, allegedly, happened. But with so many of these accusations lately, it seems that people are talking about incidents from so long ago, especially with these politicians, actors, public figures and these incidents apparently occurred years ago, why say something now?

Anyhow, like dun, I wonder how long it will be, before the Pope is accused.

dun":35jolxw2 said:
I wonder when when someone will accuse the pope
Some cave woman's descendant is going to be the next one to make an accusation ...on behalf of her ancestor and seek reparations of course..

caveman-gender-image.png

Workinonit Farm":22g7o03j said:
I'm not saying that these things don't happen, I know for a fact that they do. However, what I would like to know is, why have so many of these people waited 10, 20, 30 years to say something? The Matt Lauer thing, I don't know when that, allegedly, happened. But with so many of these accusations lately, it seems that people are talking about incidents from so long ago, especially with these politicians, actors, public figures and these incidents apparently occurred years ago, why say something now?

There are a multitude of reasons, from what I've read. For some, it takes time to come to grips with it, what it was that actually happened. Others take time coming forward b/c they're afraid they won't be believed. Some wait years to come forward b/c the person was in a position of power that would have dictated all accusations would have been swept aside (ex. Roy Moore being a prosecutor). Some feel shame b/c we still have a society that victim shames, so they may feel like they deserved it. Who knows their reasons, but it's a big thing to come forward with something like this.

Workinonit Farm":pvt7dygt said:

I can imagine when this activity happens to the women they are caught way off guard. Who expect someone in their work/profession life to touch them inappropriately? And when it happens who do they report it to? Does the person they report it to believe them, or want to get involved?

I know of one situation where touching was involved and those doing the touching was an attorney and another was a dentist when they were getting a hair cut. The person being violated continued working just ignoring it. She told me, "What's a 22 year old suppose to do?" There's no one who believes it, some think it's OK, some just shrug their shoulder and realize nobody gets called out for it.

So when this crap becomes exposed by those who we think will never get caught, those who were wronged feel they have more power and folks might finally listen and believe them. At that point the past time doesn't matter, they speak up!

And good for them. If some guy thinks he can get away with that kind of behavior for what ever reason, age, position, influence....they need to be slapped publicly.

D2Cat":2nvunro3 said:
Who expect someone in their work/profession life to touch them inappropriately?

I have never understood how anyone can thing that this type of behavior is OK. It just baffles my mind.

Bestoutwest":1muvoywi said:
D2Cat":1muvoywi said:
Who expect someone in their work/profession life to touch them inappropriately?

I have never understood how anyone can thing that this type of behavior is OK. It just baffles my mind.

It happens, way more often than one would think. And I agree that it is baffling. But, most of those perpetrators don't see any problem with it, for a whole host of reasons. :?

Then there are the situations, as someone else mentioned in a different thread, where I really do think that it is a complete misunderstanding ----------- as in light flirtation, being mistaken for "interest" in the other party.

greybeard":mq9p18q6 said:
dun":mq9p18q6 said:

MPR's host and producer of Prairie Home Companion has got the ax as well.

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-kei ... 460802703/

He's the guy on the right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xvfmmci9U

If I was a woman maybe I'd feel different, but I believe firing someone because of this kind of allegation is way over the line. He's accused of inadvertently touching a lady's bare back and gets fired because of it? Really? Let's just outlaw any physical touching of any kind.

There is one problem with all of the accusations. They don;t have to have happened to that person, the way sexual harassment complaints work is if someone sees something they think is inappropriate they can file a claim. Saw way to much of that kind of crap while working for the gov. Guilty until proven guilty is the way it works.

Rafter S":2hlomo7j said:
greybeard":2hlomo7j said:
dun":2hlomo7j said:

MPR's host and producer of Prairie Home Companion has got the ax as well.

http://www.startribune.com/garrison-kei ... 460802703/

He's the guy on the right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xvfmmci9U

If I was a woman maybe I'd feel different, but I believe firing someone because of this kind of allegation is way over the line. He's accused of inadvertently touching a lady's bare back and gets fired because of it? Really? Let's just outlaw any physical touching of any kind.

This is his account. There's always two sides to every coin. Also, who knows if they were looking for any easy way out of releasing him.

The current atmosphere seems to trace to Gretchen Carlson getting $20 million September 2016 in a lawsuit settlement
with 21st Century Fox for claimed sexual harassment by previous CEO Roger Ailes.

That kind of money sends lawyers like Gloria Allred into a feeding frenzy, beating the bushes, seeking deep pockets
for anyone with similar complaints, no matter how old and scares any TV company attorney to advise cutting ties
immediately and deny any knowledge of any complaint to shield themselves from massive lawsuits.
Winning a lawsuit even against a rich man is nothing compared to settling a lawsuit with a major corporation.
To believe that a search for justice is the motivating factor in any of these cases is naive.

Men and women taking advantage of each other by various means is as old as Jezebel.
The main thing to come out of this will be corporate attorneys making sure to limit risks and protect assets from
personal attorneys.

I agree with Son of Butch that the epidemic of cases is motivated by money. To think the victims were all enraged before the big settlements would be naive. IMO, most cases are benign. Where they become vile, is when someone in power makes demands for sexual favors of subordinates who because of their station in life have few options. I saw that in the Office of Surface Mining back in 1978. A young divorced girl who was a secretary was being pressured by a superior. Will never forget her name - Frankie. Because of the song Frankie and Johnnie. She confided in me as I was an Inspector. I reported it to the district manager who I had worked in a lab with before we joined the Office of Surface Mining. The investigation into the incident resulted in her voluntarily quitting. It was a sad situation.

I have no sympathy for men who put women in those circumstances.

Latest posts