Mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

MamaNewt

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a milking Jersey that has gotten mastitis multiple times in the last few months. I have changed the cleaning procedure and looked over her feed to see if anything will help but she continues to get it. The last milk test I got....the vet said it was environmental factors...so I don't know what do with that. Could she just be prone to getting it? If that is the case, what should I do? Should I bother trying to get her bred? Should I sell her? Also, she is not the most pleasant to milk. I have to keep her hobbled or milking is no go.
And if there are only traces of mastitis (in a CMT) is it ok to drink the milk or just dump it?
I'm really torn about my next move. I would love some advice and encouragement. Thank you for all the help.
This forum has been a life saver.
MamaNewt

I was born into the family dairy business and milked until I was 42 before changing lifestyle. you could try some of the newer teat dips that claim to help seal the teat end after milking. I tried them years ago and they do help. most environmental infections enter the teat channel within the first hour after milking so if you can keep her standing in a clean area after milking, that would help also ( keep in stanchion if that is where you milk or feed after milking so she doesn't leave the barn and lay down right away.) Did your vet do a sensitivity culture to determine what antibiotics to use to fight the mastitis? she may be sore from the mastitis causing the bad temperament but if she is a problem then I have learned that culling is a sure cure. milking twice a day is not much fun when you have to worry about getting kicked all the time.