Mastitis in single teat

Help Support CattleToday:

MamaNewt

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new here and am in need of lots of help! I have a dairy cow I treated for Mastitis with Today. I thought everything had cleared up, but now two weeks later its back. The udder doesn't feel lumpy and she doesn't seem to hurt when I milk her. Yet, when I start milking there are clumps. What else can I use to treat her? should I just stay the course and keep milking her out and hope it clears? Should I add some minerals or other medicine to help get her healthy? Could I still drink from the other quarters and not drink from that one?
Thank you for the help. I am trying to learn quickly and take care of my cows the best I can.

After treatment the milk from all 4 quarters needs to be discarded as directed.
I think Today has 3-4 day milk dump.... but check the label.
After medication clears the cows system, the milk from the other 3 quarters
is completely fine to drink. Many - most dairies have a 3 quartered cow.
Chronic or reoccurring mastitis that won't clear up after treatment accounts for
about 94% of all 3 quartered dairy cows.

Today works on streptococcus mastitis and not so much on staph.
It might be staphylococcus mastitis, try Pirsue
but to warn you staph is a bxtch to cure, a very tough bug.

By the way: WELCOME to the forum :)

Last edited:
the first thing you need to do is take a milk sample to your vet to find out what type of mastitis it is. like son of butch said their are different types. once your vet determines which type it is, he/she can do a sensitivity test to see which antibodies it is sensitive to. without testing you are just treating blindly and no one drug will work on all. when i was milking, staph usually meant a trip to the sale barn because it is highly contagious if you have other cows that you are milking. Best time to treat successfully is when you dry them up but you still need to know what drugs work and even so it usually does not go away. E.coli usually makes the udder hard and swollen with watery milk. can kill a cow quickly after infection. strept is easier to treat and has the best chance of clearing up. good luck

with pen you have do the withdrawal throw out they came out with another drug that has no withdrawl but i can't remember name,, ask vet

couple of shots of penicillan usually cures most mastitus
No, it doesn't. Most mastitis goes away on its own in 3-5 days, giving the illusion that treatment worked.

with pen you have do the withdrawal throw out they came out with another drug that has no withdrawl but i can't remember name,, ask vet
Excenel, Excede, Cefenil, etc. have no milk hold, but they're also worthless for treating mastitis. You don't have to dump milk because the drug doesn't get into the udder in high enough concentrations to be effective.

I can hardly think of any condition in beef cattle in the past 40 years that I would have chosen to treat with penicillin. Nearly 100 years after its discovery, it's just not as effective or 'broad spectrum' as most other antimicrobials that have been brought to market in the past 50 years or less.
Most producers - and sadly, many veterinarians my age and older - didn't/don't dose PPG appropriately...3cc/100# twice daily for 3-5 days...how many of y'all used it that (correct) way?

I can hardly think of any condition in beef cattle in the past 40 years that I would have chosen to treat with penicillin. Nearly 100 years after its discovery, it's just not as effective or 'broad spectrum' as most other antimicrobials that have been brought to market in the past 50 years or less.
Most producers - and sadly, many veterinarians my age and older - didn't/don't dose PPG appropriately...3cc/100# twice daily for 3-5 days...how many of y'all used it that (correct) way?
Cesarean section. After a C-section I gave Polyflex. After the Polyflex was gone, I had to give Penicillin for several days. It was a hassle to the push the Angus heifer in the chute everyday. However, it was doctor's orders and I did it. The calf was normal sized, but the heifer's inside was not formed correctly.