Massey Ferguson Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
What do you guys think of MF tractors?
My uncle has a 265 diesel that I've used and it seems to be a good tough tractor especially pulling a 6 foot brush-hog. We need a larger tractor capable of handling a 8-10 foot brush-hog and I've been looking at some of the MF tractors I see the later models are made in Brazil...does anybody know if they're good tractors?

Don't know much about the newer ones.. I think the 185 had transmission troubles because it had the same tranny as the 165 but a lot more power through it. I know the 245's were good, but I think that big a bushhog would be too much for it.

I'd sooner recommend something like an IH 684 (~70hp) before anything made in Brazil (OK, I'd take brazil before India) The trouble with a lot of these newer tractors is that they put so much plastic on them and it all rots in the sun and looks like arse after 10 years

ousoonerfan22":1og4bdyh said:
What about the 285 did it have transmission problems?

We bought this MF 285 new in 1981. It has around 2500 hours on it now and bout the only thing ever done to it was the clutch replaced at 2000 hours. When we first got it the tractor would pto dyno 86hp and pull a 12 knife cutterhead chopper in fourth gear with ease. The transmission on these is pretty solid and the neighbor has a MF4270 which is a 110 hp tractor and the rear axle looks from the outside just like the MF 285. It has a 318 Perkins engine which seems solid and will burn less fuel than either of my Kubota M9000 or M6800. If you can find one in good shape they are good tractors.

It still has its original paint.
002cvg.jpg

Wow, very nicely kept JLT!... Our 165 has about 2800 hours on it, we bought it 10 years ago with about 1800. We'd get more for it now than when we bought it ($5500)

I bought a 255 with a loader. It seemed like pretty tough. I replaced the front bolster pin twice. Rebuilt the rh break and the differental blew up. replace the clutch. I traded it when it developed a leak in tranny. A few neighbors have the new generation MF. they are gutless pulling loads of hay by our place on hills.

We have 2-255, 1-275, 1-270 ans 1-1105. We have owned most since new and have had very very little problems. Eatin up batteries has been the only common issue but even that happens only during low use. Never been in the engine of any of them. I love them and am looking to gid rid of a few for 1 a bit larger and newer (5000 series).

I like the motors and fuel efficiency in the old ones not sure about the new ones. I hope they have fixed the brake issue I know that.