Massey-Ferguson 180

Help Support CattleToday:

MDBeef

Reaction score
Hello, new to the board and looking for information on Massey-Ferguson model 180 tractor. I'm in need of a good used tractor in this HP range (65) and came across one for sale locally. Not sure of the year I know they were made from 1964-1975. This particual one has a gas engine they apparently came either gas or diesel. Your thoughts.

MF 180 was a good tractor moderate size good tractor to plant, culivate moe rake bale chore an even big enough to go major tillage plow disc ect,, ect,,

only been around diesel's they had good fuel economy

The only problem now would be the age factor over the years multi power and hydralics problems creep up nothing that can't be fixed though. Just keep in mind when buying

parts are still readilly available

MDBeef":1d5qg0uv said:
Hello, new to the board and looking for information on Massey-Ferguson model 180 tractor. I'm in need of a good used tractor in this HP range (65) and came across one for sale locally. Not sure of the year I know they were made from 1964-1975. This particual one has a gas engine they apparently came either gas or diesel. Your thoughts.

We have two 185's (not sure on the years) that are diesels. AWESOME tractors, use them all year round from spraying to mowing/raking/accumulating hay (freeman accumulator) and never have had any problems that I can really remember besides just little normal stuff, if you can buy it right I dont see any reason not to, and for that older HP range very good tractors.

Flaboy- You nailed my concern. I know the old M-Fs were good tractors but I don't have any experience with gas engine tractors. Do they have the torque? I think the price is right $5,500, the engine was overhauled by dealer, tractor repainted no real visible wear or damage, just age. Being sold by original owner (retiring) who used tractor for mowing and grading / snow removal work. My intentions would be to put a loader on it for moving bales and mucking out, use it for mowing and grading work.

Anyone have any experience with these gas engines?

Thanks for everyones comments.

[/quote]

MDbeef, I personally think $5500 is to much for an old gas powered tractor unless it is mint. Yes, I have owned and used gas powered tractors. No they do not have as much torque but then again I just used them to mow or do something light. Seemed like I spent more time putting gas in them than using them.

Whatever you get make sure the hydraulics work really well. Don't let anyone tell you that they just need a small adjustment. If that was the case they would have done it already. ;-)

flaboy-, based on Tractorhouse site I thought price was reasonable, then again prior to this I was looking @ new stuff $$$$$ so my judgement may have been skewed. The hydraulics were ok but I think I'll take your original advice & keep looking for same type tractor but diesel.

Appreciate your help.

When I was a kid Dad had 2 MF 180's. They held up thru me learning to farm. They would run the blower, chopper, haybine, baler...tough old tractors. Keep them plugged in, in 30 or colder winters and they would start right up. Dad's had the perkins in them. He still has them, has 4 of them now.

He had one with a 2 phase clutch that stayed hooked to the baler. Said the 2 phase was eaiser than kicking the baler on and off with the PTO lever. Just took some getting used to. Had to remember not to push the clutch all the way in...or get yelled at!

The multi-power was nice and handy too.

certherfbeef, were your dad's diesel or gas? I have seen quite a few diesel models but never a gas powered 180. I couldn't find any data on the gas powered one but the diesel is around 60 HP or so.

IMO you will get more for your buck with a used Massey than anything else. For that much money you should be able to get a 265 or 275. I had a 135 gasoline, it was the pitts.