Mary Moo RIP

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Why is it always the one you like?

My favorite pet cow had to leave the farm today. 20 cows and 1 open and it had to be my favorite, easiest to work and the easiest keeper on the place.

100_0370-1.jpg

Mary Moo RIP 2008!

Ps I bet Caustic's eyes are watering :lol:

poor mary moo.
Sometimes I wonder as well why the fat cows sometimes but I guess there are more skinny ones leave as well. Perhaps too fat isn't always the best. That was a real nice picture of Mary though. :cry2:

aplusmnt":3uek6dr5 said:

My favorite pet cow had to leave the farm today. 20 cows and 1 open and it had to be my favorite, easiest to work and the easiest keeper on the place.

100_0370-1.jpg

Mary Moo RIP 2008!

My eyes always water until I get the check in a couple days.

I wish I knew where you shipped her. I'll be putting the bulls out here shortly and I sure would have liked to give Mary Moo a home. I liked her a lot.

Jogeephus":1jitzi9t said:
I wish I knew where you shipped her. I'll be putting the bulls out here shortly and I sure would have liked to give Mary Moo a home. I liked her a lot.

You wold have to hope your bull is more potent than mine, he did his job on all but her.

I hate it also, I know most do not care about show calves but last year Mary Moo's calf gave us our fist ever home raised Purple ribbon at the fair it sure was sweet to raise one instead of buying it. It meant more to the kids for sure.

aplusmnt":2ubm27mj said:
Jogeephus":2ubm27mj said:

You wold have to hope your bull is more potent than mine, he did his job on all but her.

I hate it also, I know most do not care about show calves but last year Mary Moo's calf gave us our fist ever home raised Purple ribbon at the fair it sure was sweet to raise one instead of buying it. It meant more to the kids for sure.

Personally I wish they put more emphasis on this in the show ring. I sold (very cheaply mind you) a steer to young fella I took under my wing a few years ago. He made it to the state and picked up several ribbons along the way. He was tickled to death. I later bought the steer back at the county sale for a ridiculus amount as there were no other bidders. However, I had arranged for a counterpart to run the price up to a specified amount since this boy had no major backing. If they were giving awards for net profit - he would have won a huge trophy. :nod:

Sorry about Mary Moo. It's always the nice ones that come up open. I've shed a few tears when a few have left and then there have been those that they leave the place and I am doing the banana. :banana:

aplusmnt":8xa5ph0i said:

100_0370-1.jpg

Mary Moo RIP 2008!

she looks a little heavy ..some times they can have a little to much condition on them .

Only in cases of "Gross Overconditioning" or "Severe Obesity" can infertility be contributed.

She always looked like that on just grass and hay. I think she would stay fat on cement.

We have a calf out of her that is 4 months preg at the moment, She is the same way. I hope she did not inherit fertility problem.

aplusmnt":3f0n06fx said:
She always looked like that on just grass and hay. I think she would stay fat on cement.

We have a calf out of her that is 4 months preg at the moment, She is the same way. I hope she did not inherit fertility problem.

Got one scheduled for a trip to the Vet next week to remove an eye cancer and the eye. Good old nurse cow she is in the third trimester and it poped up. When the calf hits 205 days I will draw the X on her.
I won't see one suffer if she wasn't as far along I would have put an X on her already.
Comes with the territory they come and go, I do have a soft spot once in a while I have a Brangus in the pasture that is 16 she raises the heaviest calf and brings the most money for her calf of any cow here.
When shen gets to old she has earned a retirement in my book. You can walk up to her grab her by the ear and load here in a trailer, has never been anything but dog gentle best Brangus cow I have ever seen.

Caustic Burno":6k7a0wp5 said:
You can walk up to her grab her by the ear and load here in a trailer, has never been anything but dog gentle best Brangus cow I have ever seen.

You're getting soft in your old age. You need to part with that old cow. Haul her to the sale barn. Let us know when you're doing it so we can go watch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll load her up, haul her home, and tell the boss lady that she's only 9 years old. :shock:

I thought about eating Mary, if there was ever a cow that would yield a good % it would be her. She looks like a show steer from behind. But kids are getting wise to empty freezer, cow leaves and freezer is full again :lol:

They got me last year on their show pigs leaving the fair with a P painted on them for Polar Pantry Butcher shop. And then two weeks later we have pork chops to eat :lol:

Caustic Burno":3ebern63 said:

My eyes are done watering, She weighed 1,410# @ $.59 a pound = $831.90 for an open cow, my tears turned to those of joy :lol: Man I could not believe she weighed that much, she is so moderate in frame but she was a beefcake though. I am not good at guessing weight.

Ps. Sold a bull calf straight of the momma also 365# @ $1.42. That shocked me also.

aplusmnt I think she would stay fat on cement. [/quote said:
Dated a woman like that once.

Seriously though I know what you mean. I had to ship our lead girl last winter. She was always the best momma, led the cows wherever I wanted them to go and just good all around. She started struggling thru the winter raising her calf, and I had to shut it down. Kinda was ceremonious to see her leave.

aplusmnt":1n2wbdxy said:
Caustic Burno":1n2wbdxy said:

My eyes are done watering, She weighed 1,410# @ $.59 a pound = $831.90 for an open cow, my tears turned to those of joy :lol: Man I could not believe she weighed that much, she is so moderate in frame but she was a beefcake though. I am not good at guessing weight.

Ps. Sold a bull calf straight of the momma also 365# @ $1.42. That shocked me also.

great deal! yes the check helps..everyone happy is a happy story. sorry & happy for you.

backhoeboogie":317yn7mx said:
Caustic Burno":317yn7mx said:
You can walk up to her grab her by the ear and load here in a trailer, has never been anything but dog gentle best Brangus cow I have ever seen.

You're getting soft in your old age. You need to part with that old cow. Haul her to the sale barn. Let us know when you're doing it so we can go watch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll load her up, haul her home, and tell the boss lady that she's only 9 years old. :shock:

Not happening she is good for at least another 5 or 6 calfs the way this girl maintains body condition.
This has to be the all time low maintainence cow she has had 1 shot of LA 200 in her life other than routine yearly meds. Ole Babe is the type a man should be striving for a herd of.
As you said maybe I am getting soft, but she is the only cow I have ever owned that I think is to good for Wolf Brand chili in the end. When that day comes she has a spot in the back pasture.

Man APLUSMNT, I feel for ya, check or not.....I find that I may be in the exact same position myself....all time favorite cow, stays fat on prayer and angel wishes, and may be open......haven't had her palpated, but I keep thinking with each week that passes by, she'll give me some indication that she's either bred or open....its still up for grabs. I hate thinking about having to haul her...

BubblesHeifer12-2-06001.jpg

Somehow it just ain't right that these are the ones that have to go......easy keepers, gentle as lambs, perfect udder, and beefy as all get out.....nope just ain't right.....

TR":2qmjlpa8 said:
Somehow it just ain't right that these are the ones that have to go......easy keepers, gentle as lambs, perfect udder, and beefy as all get out.....nope just ain't right.....

Funny that I have picked young heifers, and look for the traits some of the best cows have had. There was a short legged white cross cow at the Mineral Wells auction in '03 that I picked up for $360, 6 months bred. She's dropped good calves like clock work on 11 month intervals. Holds her weight and weans nice calves. I wish I could pick up several dozen just like her for the same price. I have no idea why someone sold this one like they did.

Latest posts