Market (salbarn location) oddities

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Talked with a neighbor the other day that hauled a bunch of eared calves to Joplin. According to him, Springfield, Buffalo and Lebanon the ear gets too big of a dock. Joplin has a slight dock but West Plains doesn;t dock ear at all. I can;t for the life of me figure why being farther from tx and OK would have better prices for eared calves then a place that's a stones throw from them.

Depends on where the calves are going. There are some buyers here that all their calves go to Iowa, others Bama or Oklahoma ect. The ones going north wont touch a calf with ear after June.

I go to all of these sales and there are diffrent buyers but there are alot of the same also.I have never seen alot of discount for ear at springfield. At buffalo i just see less quality so there is more discount all around.I can say that at ava there is very little discount if any so i buy eared calves when i can and don't have any trouble selling them at all.

denvermartinfarms":13cisq1g said:
I go to all of these sales and there are diffrent buyers but there are alot of the same also.I have never seen alot of discount for ear at springfield. At buffalo i just see less quality so there is more discount all around.I can say that at ava there is very little discount if any so i buy eared calves when i can and don't have any trouble selling them at all.

Buffalo is a saterday sell so you have hobby farmers bringing in calves also a lot more local buyers. I sold some eared calves at Buffalo in August and got docked about 15 cents. I probably would have lost more than that in gas and shrink if i had gone to Joplin

A little off topic...I was at a Replacement Sale Saturday. Ears brought more. Maybe it was the quality of "earless", but the low end of the ears still outsold them. Just sayin....

here it seem like it works in a 50 mile radius,, and that radius atracts buyers from even farther.. buyers from south of the radius like the eared calve those north and west dont

dun":vdr7unfe said:
Talked with a neighbor the other day that hauled a bunch of eared calves to Joplin. According to him, Springfield, Buffalo and Lebanon the ear gets too big of a dock. Joplin has a slight dock but West Plains doesn;t dock ear at all. I can;t for the life of me figure why being farther from tx and OK would have better prices for eared calves then a place that's a stones throw from them.
Thats just it... being farther away and less of them.. makes them an oddity.. so.. worth more. Now if u believe that, I got some great looking polled watusi blacks for sale. :lol2: :lol2:

It's all about what the order buyers are looking for. If you take a black no-ear #1 to a barn where all the orders are for eared #2's, that black calf will get docked. It always pays to shop around for the barn that has orders for your type of calves.

Latest posts