Mare with milky liquid in utter

Help Support CattleToday:

sammysians

Reaction score
:)Hello my name is Sharon,I was wondering if anyone could help me,I have a 18 year old mare whom I noticed the glands in front of her utter were looking like they were enlarging,and has a milky liquid in her utter?Her utter isn't full .I have only had her a few months but wasn't told she might be pregnant,Is it possable for a mare to have liquid in her utter and not be pregnant,I know she has had babys before.She is plump but didn't think she was pregnant?

Well it's hard to do a Preg Test for CAso I'd say that your Job - - Might be time to get the horse Dipers out Or she might need she need a tube of "Go Dry" but a Vet Check First!

sammysians":20ahb8eq said:
:)Is it possable for a mare to have liquid in her utter and not be pregnant

Not unless something is very, very wrong. Time to call your vet.

was wondering what happen with your mare, my arab mare is slighty baged up, clear/semi milky fluid come out when cked, been keeping an eye on her watching for swelling or fever, none at this time. she is not breed, heat cycles are regular for all the girls in the field. my jack in another field, he knows its spring LOL thinking she maye have false pregancy? ,Rose

My 2¢ Worth
I'm not a Vet – but as just an Old Time Cowboy I'd
Forget the Dam Teats –
"Warning" anytime you open a teat (draw or Milk a teat) you open it for Infections

Feel the utter (Bag) – if it is soft – No Temp – Mare walks OK or dose not stand with her legs apart - - Is not depressed – she/it's OK – leave it the H377 alone! :cboy:

If you find any of the above or feel Hard Spots or if there is Painful Swelling of it or near by tissue - then talk to a VET.

He should try to draw some of the fluid for a lab test and go from there.

You "might" get mastitis in mares, sometimes in drying-up time – in one or both ½'s – I treat as you would a Cow - At most Ag Stores you can buy tubes "Dry Cow" and use a little of it in each teat. . Little is known about the udder infections in mares.

Latest posts